turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

brandonmccoll198
Returning Member

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

How would we be notified about our stlimus Chex if the file 2018 

Cayonker
Returning Member

I want to e-file my State of Michigan return to get a refund before the current April 15th deadline in MI.  The Legislature is looking to extend state tax filing deadline to July 15th to match the federal but has not yet done so.  I went to e-file just the state return and TT said I couldn't do that, and could only file state at the same time or later than the federal.  I owe on my federal and want to wait until July 15th to file.
My state website stated the following: "Yes. State Standalone e-file lets you submit your Michigan individual income tax return separately from your federal return.  If you e-file your Michigan tax return alone, be sure to calculate your federal return before completing and e-filing your Michigan return."

Is  my only solution to mail my state return?  Or should I wait to see if MI extends the deadline and TT then makes e-filing just the state possible?

@Cayonker The TurboTax software is scheduled to be updated with the new federal filing dates and payment dates for federal taxes owed on March 27.  If the dates are updated in the software then you can e-file the federal tax return with a federal tax payment date on or before July 15.  And you can e-file the state tax return at the same time.

My ex husband and I take turns claiming our daughter.  If it is his turn to claim her for 2019, but he hasn't filed yet and I have......

Will they use my 2019 returns and his 2018, which would mean neither one will show her being claimed?

The extension is very much official now.  Turbo Tax needs to update its software to allow withdrawals until July 15.  They changed the wording on writing a check.

Hello on further research I found that IRS accepts e-signed PDF forms.

I plan to buy DocuSign subscription for 1 user which cost @25 USD.

e-Signed the TurboTax generated PDF file with mine and wifes signatures.

Email PDF to my family in USA for PRINT and MAIL in USPS.

Has anyone done this before ? Please share your experience ! 

@DoninGA I believe the correct answer to "will I get my stimulus by direct deposit if I had fees deducted" is "unknown at this time", unless Intuit has received other information from SBTPG.

This year's stimulus checks are being modeled on the 2008 checks. In 2008, the IRS issued paper stimulus checks for ALL returns that showed a third-party bank, such as Santa Barbara Bank & Trust (from which SBTPG was spun off in 2010), for direct deposit; that included TurboTax's "pay with refund" service. That was because most third-party direct deposits back then were for old-school RALs; the IRS said most of the accounts were closed after the RALs were paid off. RT products (still commonly known as "refund anticipation checks" back then) were a small part of the bank product business in 2008.

What has changed since 2008? Old-school RALs, for 100% of the refund less fees, are gone; today's "refund advances" are usually for LESS than the actual refund. RT is now at the heart of the bank product business, so IRS can rely more on SBTPG and other RT providers to forward stimulus payments using their own methods, such as direct deposit to bank accounts or prepaid cards (as SBTPG does with TurboTax), or with other RT providers checks printed at EROs or by the provider, direct cash pickup (generally at Walmart), or at one RT provider this year even cryptocurrency. As far as the IRS is concerned, all of these are "direct deposits" that can be issued far more quickly than paper Treasury checks. In addition, these checks are being issued during an extended tax season; the 2008 checks weren't issued till tax season was over.

Finally, the bill that passed the Senate gives the IRS more leeway in finding correct direct deposit info; it allows the IRS to send the money to ANY account the taxpayer authorized after 1/1/2018 to receive a tax refund (i.e., 2017 as well as 2018 or 2019 returns) or a "Federal payment" subject to mandatory direct deposit (benefit payments such as SS/SSI/RRB/VA, Federal paychecks & retirement checks, and certain vendor payments). It also has a special provision allowing Federal disbursing officers (the folks who actually issue checks or direct deposits) to "modify payment information" for stimulus checks to "facilitat(e) the accurate and efficient delivery of such payment"; that could be used to add accounts used for direct debit, correct changed bank info, remove closed accounts (detected by "prenote" messages thru the ACH network), etc.

Still, until the IRS has something on its website other than "Stimulus payment checks: No information available yet, No sign-up needed", we won't know for certain what will happen. Secretary Mnuchin clearly wants to make as many of these payments by direct deposit ASAP, especially since the Feds likely have even less check-printing capabilities than in 2008; but the experience of 2008 suggests this may be harder than he thinks, especially for refunds routed thru SBTPG or other third parties.

@amit2020 

If you cannot efile the return  or   print the return and mail it from your location then your plan will work.

@Critter 
Everything is locked down in INDIA except essential services till April 14th.
I spoke to FedEx, DHL and UPS and they are shutdown because there are no flight coming in or going out of  INDIA.
Any thoughts about we e-sign our self-prepared form, send to my family in USA for print and mail to IRS ?

dbuending

Actually, per IRS 2020-58 individuals and businesses have until July 15, 2020 to pay what is owed without penalty or interest.  Please fix.

@amit2020, you have until the second week of July (unless you have a state filing that needs to go in on April 15) to figure this out, but here are some ideas: 

If you don't want to or can't efile, but have a scanner and printer, you could scan, print and sign the signature page, re-scan it and then use a free secure service like Dropbox to upload the signed page, plus the 1040 PDF that TurboTax generates, to the Dropbox folder. Share the link with your family in the US and they could download everything and print it. Or, you might print the signature page, sign it, take a photo of the entire signature page and upload it with the TT 1040 PDF and they print/send that along with the TT PDF. (People with Adobe Acrobat could also insert a scanned image of their signature into the signature line of the TT PDF, or possibly use Adobe's verified signature service, have not tried that for something like this.) 

dbuending

Per Minnesota Department of Revenue announcement dated March 23, 2020, Minnesota's date for filing and paying taxes has been moved to July 15, 2020, same as federal.  For federal see IRS Notice 2020-18.  Please adjust payment date deadlines for both federal and Minnesota.  Also, the deadline for first quarterly payment for 2020 taxes has been moved to July 15 as well.  Thank you

TurboTax finally updated the software to allow payment of federal taxes through July 15, but they have not done so for California yet. When will this update be made??

CA has already formally announced it is extending its tax deadline to July 15, which TurboTax acknowledges on its own website!

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-what-to-[product key removed]a...

I am concerned about getting my Stimulus Payment from the IRS using our Direct Deposit  information we used on our 2019 Tax Return because we had to close that Bank Account after we received our  2019 Refund since it had become compromised.  Now, I wonder if there is a way to update our Direct Deposit Bank Account Information before the IRS sends the funds because I know that I can't  update the info once it has been filed.  Will the IRS give us an opportunity to choose how we get the money (ie to use our Direct Deposit info from 2019 Tax Return or Mail a Check to our Address) and update that info or not before they just send it?  

Does anyone know what can we do?  I can not get through to the IRS to even ask the question. 

That error could delay us getting our money for weeks, maybe months!

@Vickie5  For the stimulus money, the IRS is only going by what is on your 2019 return (or 2018 return if you did not file a 2019 return), you will receive a check in the mail when there is no direct deposit information or the information is incorrect on your return you filed.  If the banking information is incorrect or your account is closed, you will automatically be switched to receiving a check in the mail.

There is no way to update your banking information, the IRS is not going to make changes to returns, & they will not ask how you want your stimulus money.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies