Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SSC87

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

According to IRS.gov  

Individuals: Income tax payment deadlines for individual returns, with a due date of April 15, 2020, are being automatically extended until July 15, 2020, for up to $1 million of their 2019 tax due. This payment relief applies to all individual returns, including self-employed individuals, and all entities other than C-Corporations, such as trusts or estates. IRS will automatically provide this relief to taxpayers. Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this relief.

So I would think this is official

@SSC87 wrote:

According to IRS.gov  

Individuals: Income tax payment deadlines for individual returns, with a due date of April 15, 2020, are being automatically extended until July 15, 2020, for up to $1 million of their 2019 tax due. This payment relief applies to all individual returns, including self-employed individuals, and all entities other than C-Corporations, such as trusts or estates. IRS will automatically provide this relief to taxpayers. Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this relief.

So I would think this is official

See this TurboTax website blog post - https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-what-to-know-about-coronavirus...

Found this on the IRS website, stating you don't need to do anything to extend the payment by 90 days:

March 18, 2020

The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service are providing special payment relief to individuals and businesses in response to the COVID-19 Outbreak. The filing deadline for tax returns remains April 15, 2020. The IRS urges taxpayers who are owed a refund to file as quickly as possible. For those who can't file by the April 15, 2020 deadline, the IRS reminds individual taxpayers that everyone is eligible to request a six-month extension to file their return.

This payment relief includes:

Individuals: Income tax payment deadlines for individual returns, with a due date of April 15, 2020, are being automatically extended until July 15, 2020, for up to $1 million of their 2019 tax due. This payment relief applies to all individual returns, including self-employed individuals, and all entities other than C-Corporations, such as trusts or estates. IRS will automatically provide this relief to taxpayers. Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this relief.

That is correct, you do not have to do anything or file anything to “qualify”. That does not mean that if you have already filed and scheduled your payment for 4/15 thru TurboTax that the payment date will automatically be changed. You have to cancel the scheduled payment (you can find instructions and the IRS number to call in several posts here) and then schedule a payment to be made on the new date. Let’s all make sure we are very clear so that people do not get confused.

I am disabled and on Social Security. I did not file, nor needed to, for 2018. However I would like to now due to the possible stimulus package. Where can I find The option to file for 2018?

Breaking news: IRS is extending federal tax filing deadline to July 15, 2020.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/ccoronavirus-mnuchin-says-irs-will-move-tax-filing-deadline-to-july-...

We'll keep updating you all as we learn more.  It will take a little bit for TurboTax to reflect this new information so don't be surprised if you still see April 15 as the deadline to file.  We'll update as much as possible as fast as we can.  Don't hesitate to reply here with your questions.

david105

I also filed electronically and scheduled a payment for April 15. However, you can subsequently cancel the payment and mail a check on or by July 15 - the new deadline - if you desire to take advantage of the extension. Though the IRS call centers are not staffed during the quarantine period, you can do this by using the IRS e-file Payment Services automated feature. Call [phone number removed], and the system will prompt you to enter your SSN, payment amount, and bank account number to verify your identity. You will then be provided the option to cancel the ACH.

david105

FYI - the Turbotax message board removed the phone number I posted, but if you navigate to the IRS website and search "pay taxes by electronic funds withdrawal" you will be able to obtain the phone number at the bottom of the page in the section, "Cancellations, Errors and Questions." I did it this morning and the cancellation was successful. 

MikeVito

I already filed my federal tax return and set up payment of the taxes I owe by having the IRS debit my checking account on April 14.  Is there a way to change that to July 15 since the Feds have extended our filing and payment deadline until then without interest and penalties?

@MikeVito  

You cannot change the date since you already filed & it was accepted.  You can cancel the payment & then pay on the IRS website or by check.

If you’ve already filed your federal taxes with TurboTax

You can’t change your payment date in TurboTax after your return has been accepted but you can cancel it and make other payment arrangements with the IRS.

Federal tax direct debit payments can be canceled up to 2 business days prior to the debit date. To cancel, call the IRS on (888) 353-4537, but please wait 7-10 days after your return has been accepted.

Then, to schedule a new payment, go to the IRS Direct Pay site.

State taxes

For your state direct debit payment, contact your state directly.

You can also pay by check.  You will need the Federal payment voucher 1040-V to mail with your check.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf

--------------------------------

For others:

How do I change my payment date?

You have a 90 day extension, until July 15, to pay your federal income taxes this year.

If you haven’t filed your federal taxes with TurboTax yet

Select Pay by check as your payment method and mail it in before July 15, 2020.

MikeVito

Thanks!

@MikeVito  Your welcome!

I filed my federal return electronically and scheduled payment electronically for April 14. I now want to delay payment until July 14. How do I do that?

@vanlanckton wrote:

I filed my federal return electronically and scheduled payment electronically for April 14. I now want to delay payment until July 14. How do I do that?

You will have to cancel the payment and then pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website on or before July 15, 2020.

IRS website for information on canceling a direct debit payment -https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Go to this IRS payment website and choose Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies