Re: If someone claims you, that you did not give p... - Page 12

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

I tried to file for my stimulus, however it stated that someone already filed me as dependent.  I didn't give anyone permission and I live alone. What can I do?

I was told by the IRS that I was claimed as a deputy and it was a family member which my son denied I haven’t lived with him in years I live alone what can I do

I'm 84 and I support myself, I live with a family member that does not claim me on their taxes.  However I'm being fraudulently claimed as a dependent on someone that does not support me in anyway physically or financially. What and how can I change this?

@titer35 wrote:

Go to this IRS website for information on how to report a fraudulent tax return being filed - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity

If you are trying to e-file your tax return and it is being rejected by the IRS due to someone else claiming you as a dependent, you will have to print and mail the federal tax return.

Within a year the IRS will investigate and the loser of the investigation will have to pay back any tax refund plus have penalties and interest assessed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

My son and wife claimed me,and I didn't know about it so I didn't get a stimulus check.also they kicked me out of the house so I'm not in their household anymore+I paid them rent while I was their.

they can claim you if these 3 tests are met

1) the relationship test is met - this seems to be the case

2) your gross income for 2019 less than $4,200
3) they provide over ½ your support in 2019
here is a link to a worksheet to determine if they did or didn't provide over 1/2 your support.  

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

if they didn't you can report that they falsely claimed an exemption for you on form 3949-A

or even if your gross income was over $4200.

Gross income means all income the person received in the form of money, goods, property and services, that isn’t exempt from tax. Don’t include social security benefits unless the person is married filing a separate return and lived with their spouse at any time during the tax year or if 1/2 the social security benefits plus their other gross income and tax exempt interest is more than $25,000 ($32,000 if MFJ).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf

Someone not only claimed me but also my daughter. Because of this I am unable to file taxes or get a stimulus check.

@Mraygo98 wrote:

You can file your tax return claiming your daughter as a dependent.  However, the tax return can only be printed and mailed.  If you have a tax refund, the IRS will pay the refund.

The IRS will investigate within a year and contact you and the other party for the two tax returns with the same Social Security numbers entered.  The loser of the investigation has to pay back any tax refund and pay penalties and interest.