turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trying to install TurboTax 2020 Premier and repeatedly get stuck at the Activation screen, which is blank. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

I'm trying to install TurboTax 2020 Premier and repeatedly get stuck at the Activation screen, which is blank. How do I fix this?

Please try the steps in the TurboTax FAQ Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images for assistance.

If those steps do not work, please contact our customer support for additional help with activating your TurboTax product: What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@rickbutker 

It  might  be an  "Adjust Your Display Resolution"  problem...but not in the way they imply

You may need to temporarily adjust it down to 800x600, or somewhere in between that and where you are set now (pay attention to, or write down what you are at now)......then enter the code to get it all started, then adjust it back to the original setting you started at.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I'm having the identical issue with TurboTax 2020 Deluxe. I go to talk to a representative and he exhausted every idea he had and said it must be the computer. It is a brand new Asus with high end components so unlikely that it is the computer. I was downloading the software, but may have to buy an external CD drive and use the disk, but can't imagine how that will help.

@bsymczak wrote:

I'm having the identical issue with TurboTax 2020 Deluxe. I go to talk to a representative and he exhausted every idea he had and said it must be the computer. It is a brand new Asus with high end components so unlikely that it is the computer. I was downloading the software, but may have to buy an external CD drive and use the disk, but can't imagine how that will help.

Another user posted this fix.  See if it works for you -

• change your resolution to 800 x 600 (start>setting >system resolution. once it's been changed, your screen size will look very big. REMEMBER your initial resolution setting!
  • launch TT and the activation screen should launch.  copy / paste in your activation code. you should get the 'all set' green check mark
  • change your resolution back to what is was originally. 

I saw this recommendation on the same problem posted above and tried it but it simply made the small blank activation screen a large blank activation screen.  One future attempt at normal resolution and waiting about 15 minutes the activation screen populated with the field needed for the license code but the field was frozen, nothing could be typed into it.

Once last attempt at the 800X600 resolution did provide an editable activation screen. I was able to complete the download. Any idea why the size of the screen had anything to do with whether or not it was blank?

Thanks for the help.

this totally worked!  

AtlzBest
Returning Member

I can confirm that the "stuck on activation" on my "Home and Business 2020" was due to using pi-hole (Whole house VPN). So make sure your computer or network is not using any VPN or try turning on a VPN. This is network related for me.

I did lower my dual monitor setup to 800x600 but that did nothing for me.

I had same issue, very frustrating and also had to deal with 1334 error issue.  New Asus was apparently set at 125% scale in display settings.  Setting it to 100% gave me the correct activation screen to put the key in

Resolution lowering allowed the screen to become visible.  But you may not be able to enter info.  Close the window and reopen.  Resolution change alone doesn't take care of the problem.  You should be able to enter the code at that time.  However, you don't need to lower it all the way to 800x600.  Mine worked fine at 1280x960.  After entering code, you can set your resolution back to where you want it.  Turbo Tax worked fine on high resolution.

Tbthibs

Oh my!  It worked!  Thank you!!!!! 

This totally worked. New laptop with 125% display. Set it to 100% and enter the license code. Thank-you!

asrirama

I encountered the stuck in activation issue - after updating the software. I read this thread and was reluctant to believe the screen resolution trick. I got past the issue by changing the display scaling from 150% to 100% on my W10 laptop, didn't have to fiddle around with the display resolution.

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies