turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I keep getting an error code that my turbo tax has been activiated 5 times already. I only have it on 1 PC . it keeps asking for the activiation code.

@mikelambeth wrote:

Thanks again. I did a windows 7 o windows 10 upgrade too then i opened the turbo 2019 and it opened but wouldn’t let me make changes; thankfully i had finished my REAL tax return and had submitted it   When I tried to open it again it said i had exceeded my sign on attempts. A support person told me to uninstall the turbo tax program and reinstall per a new code she gave me. I was apprehensive about trying that thinking I might lose my completed tax return which would make me “cry”. Any thoughts on the uninstall reinstall idea?

Your completed return is in the *.tax2019 data file.   That's what you will need if you ever need to amend your 2019 return, make PDF copies, and also to transfer 2019 data into your 2020 return next year.    If your *.tax2019 data is in the default location, it will be in the \Documents\TurboTax folder.   An uninstall shouldn't remove that folder, but  I would make a backup copy of the *.tax2019 data file somewhere anyway in case something goes wrong, such as on a thumb drive, CD-R, etc.   You should be making a backup copy of it anyway.   I even save a backup copy of the data file after each TurboTax session when I'm working on my return--just in case something happens to the one on my computer--after seeing some of the stories in this forum.

If you have other years of *.taxYYYY data files and/or tax PDFs stored on your computer, you may wish to make backup copies of those as well.

NOTE:  Remember all  tax data files and tax PDF files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

I keep getting an error code that my turbo tax has been activiated 5 times already. I only have it on 1 PC . it keeps asking for the activiation code.

@ocostich1 wrote:

I have Windows10 and a download. The problem persists through re-downloading, and  CS failed attempts at fixing. Start the program, it asks for the activation code, then it works. Close the program, then restart it, asks for activation code again. After 5 cycles it says your activation code is no good. CS best offer is give another code that will work 5 times and die.Hopeless

This may not work for you if you've used all 5 activations, but it's quick and easy to try.   I read in some thread on here where a user once he was asked for the activation code a second time, did this:

He right-clicked the TurboTax shortcut icon on the Windows desktop, chose Properties, then choose the Compatibility tab then checkmarked "Run as administrator."

I can't explain it, and won't attempt to.  Just merely passing a long an anecdote about something that's easy to try.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! My taxes were done except for charitable donations and I thought i was going to have to start over!  This worked perfectly.

I got a new download of the program from Intuit, and a new activation code. It was installed and activated and now seems to be able to restart without having to re-enter the activation code.  Great, I thought. I had a file I saved with my almost completer Federal and state returns. So I started the program and told it to continue. No joy. Error 190 - it says my Federal return is on this computer so let's get the California forms. I do that and it tells me they are downloaded.  I'm taken back to where you are supposed to continue and chose the file to use.  Choosing it takes me back to error 190, get state forms. It's an endless cycle. Run as administrator does nothing different.  I've now spent likely 50+ hours with this POS. TTax support tries to be helpful but most useless.

@ocostich1 wrote:

I got a new download of the program from Intuit, and a new activation code. It was installed and activated and now seems to be able to restart without having to re-enter the activation code.  Great, I thought. I had a file I saved with my almost completer Federal and state returns. So I started the program and told it to continue. No joy. Error 190 - it says my Federal return is on this computer so let's get the California forms. I do that and it tells me they are downloaded.  I'm taken back to where you are supposed to continue and chose the file to use.  Choosing it takes me back to error 190, get state forms. It's an endless cycle. Run as administrator does nothing different.  I've now spent likely 50+ hours with this POS. TTax support tries to be helpful but most useless.

Error 190 is produced when the *.tax2019 data file has a state return in it, but the state software is not installed in the program, so it can't open the file.   Try this:

• Relaunch TurboTax.
  • At the main screen, start a brand new dummy return.  To do that, click in the left corner of the TurboTax menubar on FILE, and in the dropdown menu choose New Tax Return.
  • Enter just a few minimal things in the Personal Info section.  The info can even be fake, like Mickey Mouse and a fake birthdate.
  • Then go to the top TurboTax menubar and click the ONLINE menu and in the dropdown choose "Download State."
  • Then save the return as something like dummyreturn.tax2019 so you won't confuse it with your real return.
  • Then reboot (restart) your computer.
  • Then launch TurboTax, and try to open your original *.tax2019 data file.
  • If that's successful, you can then delete the dummy return.
  • If it was unsuccessful, I'll tell you what I would do next, which is more complicated.
SNA
Level 2

Turned on the computer today and got the dreaded message requesting me to enter the activation code (yet again).  

Entered the code and was informed that the software had been activated 5 times and my code would not work. Apparently each time you reenter the code on the same machine, it counts as an additional activation.

Followed all the documented procedures to disable both  Norton Anti Virus and the firewall and reset network as I was told the reason for the message was due to the TurboTax software not being able to communicate with the server and validate my code, but still nothing.  Norton firewall and antivirus logs do not indicate Turbotax is being blocked.

Its hard to believe there is something on my machine blocking TTax accessing the server to validate my (already entered) activation code when  I have disabled the antivirus and firewall software. 

Does anyone know if this access suddenly (I live in hope) works will it just revalidate  my existing code or still want me to reenter the code again (for the impossible sixth time)

It will sound weird but if you have different USB cables connected it will ask for the activation code. This has to be a BIG error on the part of the programmers.  So try unplugging external drives, thumb drives etc.  or maybe plugging them back in. It seems like you have to have the same things plugged in as the time you activated.  This has been a terrible year for this software. When I have called they act like I am doing something wrong.  I stopped closing the software but updates restart and also affected the software.  I hope this helps. I hope they send me a survey because they failed this year. 🙂  Good luck!

SNA
Level 2

Thank you !!!

FIXED !

I had this problem this morning and went around in circles trying to solve the issue. 

After reading some other posts about external disks, I removed a 32GB USB blank but formatted memory stick in my machine and it worked...TurboTax fires up correctly. Put the stick back in and it requests me to enter an activation code. 

I have tried it 10 or 12 times and removing the stick makes it work and putting the stick back in causes the activation code request.

This stick was not in there when I installed Turbotax way back last December.

So glad to hear that!! Have an awesome day!!

The strategy below worked.

Thanks

Works for Windows. Need the same info for the Mac.

Yup - going to H&R Block after decades of MacInTax and TurboTax.

ritauma

Except the mouse, I unplug the pheripheral usb hub and now I can access the turbo home  & Business 2020. I don't understand why it solve the problem.

I think Critters reply about this, referring to someone else's reply, may have solved it for me.  I noticed I had a thumb drive plugged in and when I ejected the thumb drive I was able to once again open TurboTax without it saying enter activation code and then saying "All available activations for that code have been used. Error code 603."

I don't know why having a thumb drive inserted in a USB port--which has nothing whatsover to do with TurboTax, no content on the drive related in any way--clobbers the log on security, but apparently it does.  When the thumb drive is in the usb port, the mysterious problem occurs and TurboTax is inaccessible.  When the thumbdrive is ejected TurboTax can be opened normally.  

Apparently having the thumbdrive plugged in confuses the software security somehow. It also confuses the user since that is not an obvious cause/effect relationship to the typical end user.  (Or to TurboTax support-- maybe they should put that possible solution in their knowledgebase.)

Sue M
Returning Member

Just spoke with a Turbo Tax rep who was trying his best to be helpful.  Explained that I tried all 4 steps to self correct the issue.  However, his supervisor told him that because I purchased Turbo tax from Amazon, they could not help me with the repeated requests for an activation code.  This is not correct, as the same issue occurred last year and they were able to fix this.  Beyond frustrated with Turbo Tax.  Any recommendations for a different software provider?

@Sue M wrote:

Just spoke with a Turbo Tax rep who was trying his best to be helpful.  Explained that I tried all 4 steps to self correct the issue.  However, his supervisor told him that because I purchased Turbo tax from Amazon, they could not help me with the repeated requests for an activation code.  This is not correct, as the same issue occurred last year and they were able to fix this.  Beyond frustrated with Turbo Tax.  Any recommendations for a different software provider?

TurboTax Support agents are not necessarily familiar with this common solution.

If your TurboTax program suddenly started asking for the license code again, many folks (including myself) have discovered this is commonly due to the presence of a USB device (such as a thumb drive or external drive) plugged in that was not there when TurboTax was originally activated.    So if you have a USB drive plugged in, disconnect it, then launch TurboTax and see if it still asks for activation. 

I personally forgot I had my thumb drive plugged in the other day, and when I launched TurboTax, it asked for activation; then once I removed the thumb drive, it launched normally.   A lot of other users have reported the same thing--that a USB drive/thumb drive was the cause of their problem, too.

Or it can work the other way around.  If you had a USB drive plugged in when you originally installed TurboTax, plug it back in.  In other words, try to return your system so it's like the way it was configured when you installed TurboTax.

Another user also said this same thing can happen when using a SD card.   So if you have an SD card, try it with and without the SD card plugged in.

The info I provided could likely solve your issue.   But if you continue to not be able to use your TT product, TurboTax also has an unconditional 60-day moneyback guarantee on its desktop software, regardless of where purchased.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies