turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

denphipps

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How can I reset my password after every attempt has failed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
KellyH

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How can I reset my password after every attempt has failed?

Have you tried these steps below?

PC – What do I do?  Simply click "Forgot Password" in the password request pop-up to answer your security question. That will get you back in.

Once you're back in, you can select "Password" from the File menu if you want to update or remove your password altogether.

Mac not using Keychain –  What do I do?  If you have not given TurboTax "Keychain" access, you can simply click "Forgot Password" in the password request pop-up to answer your security question. That'll get you back in.   Once you're back in, you can select "Password Encrypt" from the File menu if you want to update or remove your password altogether.

Mac using Keychain – What do I do? In some rare cases if you have given Keychain access to TurboTax, you can go to Applications > Other > Keychain access> Keychains> Login> Category >Passwords> find Intuit or TurboTax and right click > Get Info > Attributes> click on Show Password > You will be prompted for the Mac Password and it will show you the password you used to encrypt your TurboTax file. This is not a guarantee to get you into the file.

J33

i can,t log in

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Try these steps to recover your User ID or password:

1. Go to our account recovery page.
  2. Enter one of the following:
    • Phone number (recommended)
    • Email address
    • User ID
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Once you’re done, we’ll either send you a code to help you recover your account, or show/send you a list of accounts associated with your info.

• If you’re still unable to recover your account, select Try something else on the Account Recovery page. We’ll ask additional questions to verify your identity.

Keep in mind: Once you’re back in your account, make sure to include or update your phone number. Doing so helps increase account security and ease account recovery.

(If you're looking to access a prior year return, go here.)

Source: TurboTax FAQ and video

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bh2022

After I clicked "Forgot Password" in the password, however  security question did not pop up, so I do not know what the security question is, not sure if someone else has the same issue as mine

@ bh2022 wrote:

After I clicked "Forgot Password" in the password, however  security question did not pop up, so I do not know what the security question is, not sure if someone else has the same issue as mine

It would be hard for anyone to know if they have the same issue or not.  Other than something about a "password", you haven't yet said what your full issue is or even what product you are using.

Are you using desktop software and referring to a password-protected data file?   Or a password to log into Online TurboTax?

If desktop software, is it for Mac or Windows?

nata518

forgot the security question to retrieve my file.  I can't openm it

nata518

I don't remeber the security question.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for assistance with accessing your account.

Account Recovery Request for your TurboTax Account

@nata518

drumme

Is my password cj=hanged now or not? I'm running in circles here

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We aren't able to see your password or any personal account information on this public forum.  For assistance with Account Recovery, please see our Help Article.  

@drumme 

jillnmax2

I am using TurboTax 2022.  Every time I try to open my (not password protected) file through the program I get the message "TurboTax 2022 wants to use your confidential information stored in "Intuit ID (bunch of letters and numbers)" in your keychain.  I have been using this product for years and have never had this problem.  I don't have a password in my keychain this year - I followed the steps to check (there's one each for 2021 and 2019).  Please tell me how to make this nightmare end - doing taxes is bad enough without having to fight to get the software to run correctly.  I shouldn't have to click Deny a bunch of times to make it go away, nor should I have to hunt up the saved Turbotax file in its folder to open it.  Please fix your product!

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with a TurboTax representative who can assist you. 

@jillnmax2 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies