turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Every time I turn on Turbotax on same computer it asks me to enter activation code, last time it said I have used activation code maximum number of times?

One user said......

I was just having this same issue, but I just figured it out. So I thought I'd share in case you are still looking for an answer. Go to Your Account; then Digital Games and Software (under Digital Content and Devices section at the bottom middle); your TurboTax purchase should show there under Downloads and Codes; the license code will be the 16 digit code next ot "Activation Key". Hope this helps!

And see this user's steps

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-purchased-the-2019-turbotax-desktop-version-on-...

sunnyT

Every time I turn on Turbotax on same computer it asks me to enter activation code, last time it said I have used activation code maximum number of times?

This happened to me a number of times when I did not go through the Turbotax product registration process. After registration I have not been asked for an activation code when I started the program (multiple times).

I'm crediting you with the answer though you posed it as a question.  Removing the external USB hard drive was the answer to get it to stop asking for activation..  For some it may be the opposite (leaving it in.)  Thanks for saving me another two hours on the phone with intuit on this issue.

Jimward2

Removing the Memory Stick from my PC also repaired the issued.

Thanks.  This tip just fixed my problem after I removed a USB drive (inserted to look up my tax info from last year).  Had closed TT to go for dinner, and hit this re-activation error when restarting TT until I followed your tip.

any updates?  I am having the same issues in my pc windows, asking activation code every time i open it...   while in my laptop works fine...   help?   question 2.  if I keep reactivating in my pc, it counts as a new computer.. we have 5 pcs limit right??  reply.

this one worked.. great tip..  try this  if you are using pc windows

This eventually did work for me, though I accidentally came across it while scouring Amazon.

Keeping in mind that Intuit refused to help (blaming the issue on Amazon and me), and Amazon refused to help (blaming Intuit and me).

I had done two sets of taxes and was about to give up on the third and final one when I found it. It actually took hours to find the answer and doing the third tax return took only about a half hour, so totally not worth it.

I turned on my USB-connected Canon printer to print out a Quicken Tax Summary and TT started asking me for an activation code.   I've been using TT all day doing different returns and jumping between different returns; I'll bet I've opened and closed TT thirty times today alone, with no problems.  Then, all of a sudden, it starts asking for my activation code.  Panic....., did some research online and low and behold......

Turned the printer off and got in to TTax again with no problems.......

TT appears to be using the age-old method of hardware footprint in determining how many computers you load the software on (a method Microsoft quit using decades ago).  When you first install the software, TT takes a 'picture' of your connected hardware.  Any deviation from that setup, TT assumes it is a different computer.  If, after successfully getting in and working in TT you suddenly start being asked for the activation code again, look at your hardware!!!  What printers or thumb drives or external hard drives, etc.; ANY USB DEVICES; were plugged in / turned on / not plugged in, etc. when you loaded the TT software the first time.  Get your pc back to that original configuration and you should have no trouble getting back into the software.

WHY TT TECH SUPPORT DOESN'T STILL OFFICIALLY MENTION THIS FIX WHEN SO MANY OF US HAVE DISCOVERED IT (see other threads along this same subject line) IS BEYOND ME!  IT IS SO SIMPLE, YET FOLKS LIKE @EbonyA , SUPPOSED EXPERTS, STILL DIRECT PEOPLE TO THE COMPLICATED, AND MOST LIKELY WRONG, SOLUTION VIA THAT LINK. 

KISS PRINCIPLE; Keep It Simple Stupid.....

Start simple and work from there.

BTW, use the @ feature to target/include folks in your reply; give credit where credit is due and if you need to ask a specific person a question, that is the way to get their attention.  Again, type the "@" symbol in your reply and a list of commenters will pop up.  Type or highlight their screen name, with no space after the "@" sign, and you can target your comment to them.

suesheldon
Returning Member

Hello, I had the exact same issue using a copy of TurboTax Home and Business 2020 that I downloaded from Amazon.  I tried all of the recommended 4 Methods they cited to resolve the issue and none worked.  I also consulted a PC Tech and he was unable to resolve the issue.  I called [phone number removed] and after pressing 1 for TurboTax I said "Customer Service" in order to bypass the robot.  I spoke with a TurboTax tech and she requested my "product number".  There absolutely is no "product number" on the download from Amazon.  All I could give here was my activation number.  That didn't help.  She consulted with her supervisor and finally gave me a new activation code that WORKED!!!  I had to login to my Intuit account, but TurboTax was not listed on my products.  The tech finally added it to my list of products with a download link that brought up the new activation code.  I was so happy I literally cried!  I hope this helps you with your issue.

ds--
Level 3

Lol enjoy it while it lasts. The moment you change any hardware config, like plug or unplug a USB , it will break.

Better make a good record if what is plugged into your PC now so you can lunch TT another day

Last year all that happened was the Intuit person gave me a new code. This is completely unacceptable,. Are you clowns waiting for a class action suit? This is outrageous. I will never update this garbage again because I will not buy it.

I just unplugged an external HD and now there is no activation problem. 

INTUIT here is a novel idea. Why don't you tell people this?

I agree with you totally.  I just purchased 2021 and tried all of the turbotax suggestions;  product still won't let me activate.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please see the steps in this TurboTax FAQ for assistance.

If you need additional assistance please feel free to contact customer support.

@dianthat12

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies