If you're using TurboTax CD/Download and have installed and activated the license number, you may receive multiple activation prompts, which results in TurboTax not launching.
You're impacted if you:
- Are using TurboTax 2019 or TurboTax 2020 CD/Download
- Have successfully activated your license
- Are prompted to activate every time TurboTax launches
- Have a valid activation code
- Never get TurboTax to open after activation
This error is caused by the Internet connection being unable to resolve connection to our server for license activation. There can be many reasons for this and they may not impact regular Internet usage and activity.
One of the following methods should resolve this issue. If they're successful, TurboTax will skip activation and open the starting screen where you can begin or continue your return.
If the product continues to prompt you for an activation code you have been unsuccessful.
Disabling software that can block our program from connecting to our activation server can quickly resolve this issue. You may also want to work with the provider of your software to assist in whitelisting TurboTax to allow it to connect to the Internet.
This includes disabling proxy and VPN connections to the Internet.
- Remove the power cord from the router and modem.
- Wait at least 10 seconds after all lights on the router have gone out.
- Reconnect the power cord to the router.
Disclaimer: These settings are typically the default settings for most users. However, if you're an advanced user and have made changes regarding Internet protocol settings, follow these steps:
- Select Start and Control Panel.
- Select View network status and tasks under Networking and Internet.
- Select Change adapter settings.
- Press and hold (or right-click) Local Area Connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) followed by Properties.
- Select Obtain an IPv6 address automatically, then Obtain DNS servers address automatically, followed by OK.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and Properties.
- Select Obtain an IP address automatically, then Obtain DNS servers address automatically, and OK.
Disclaimer: These steps should be completed by an intermediate to advanced user of Windows. If you aren't comfortable making these changes, consult a local IT professional.
- Select Start, enter command prompt in the Search Programs and files box, press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, enter the following commands. Press Enter after each command.
- ipconfig /flushdns.
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- Launch TurboTax.
If you're still experiencing issues after following these steps, contact a local support technician for additional assistance.