Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Every time I turn on Turbotax on same computer it asks me to enter activation code, last time it said I have used activation code maximum number of times?

I tried the suggestion to disable my firewall and set myself up as administrator.  Eventually after 30 minutes it went to the enter key code.  It took another 30 minutes after I went in and out of the program to allow me to enter key code.  I went out again and re-entered.  FINALLY, I gained access.  It takes a lot of patience.  It kept telling me when I tested it that it was not compatible with Windows 11.  I had to add additional permissions.

Diantha T.

Every time I turn on Turbotax on same computer it asks me to enter activation code, last time it said I have used activation code maximum number of times?

The "computer with the exact same configuration" fix has stopped working.
I opened TT today, using the same configuration as I had when I last updated it (actually a new code, as Intuit gave me a new one when I used up my allocation at the beginning of the month).
TT updated. Didn't ask for the code. Yes! The exact same configuration seems to work!
Closed TT after entering some data.
Opened it again later - same configuration, same day. No updates needed. BUT IT WANTED MY LICENSE CODE AGAIN!
Why can't intuit get this fixed? It was a problem a few years ago, then stopped, but is now back with a vengeance on steroids.

The "computer with the exact same configuration" fix has stopped working.  And those network/firewall/antivirus requirements fly in the face of how computers are used in the 21st century. 
I opened TT today, using the same configuration as I had when I last updated it (actually a new code, as Intuit gave me a new one when I used up my allocation at the beginning of the month).
TT updated. Didn't ask for the code. Yes! The exact same configuration seems to work!
Closed TT after entering some data.
Opened it again later - same configuration, same day. No updates needed. BUT IT WANTED MY LICENSE CODE AGAIN!
Why can't intuit get this fixed? It was a problem a few years ago, then stopped, but is now back with a vengeance on steroids.

When I hit this problem a year ago , I thought I was using the "same configuration" but it turned out that I had plugged in an USB drive while using TurboTax to retrieve previous year's tax file; TT was initially intstalled and launched without that USB drive.  So while technically my machine was in the same configuration from TT Quit and Hibernation to the next TT session, it's actually a different configuration from the installation and initialization time (no USB drive) to the time I tried to run it again the second time (with USB drive).   After I unplugged my USB drive, TurboTax ran without requiring the license key again.  Hope that's your issue as it can be worked around.  Good luck!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If the suggestions in this thread have not helped to resolve the issue, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for additional assistance.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@pneame

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

These seem to be entirely Windows related.  I'm on a Mac.  I have used TT since 2014.  It always worked once the access code was entered so I never saved them.  However, today I tried to start both 2020 and 2019 to check something and it asked for an access code. I had those codes originally but they are long gone.

I have a new computer and I am in a different location from where I originally used 2019 and 2020.  Either could be a factor.  I tried turning my FireWall off but that didn't solve the problem.

I tried disconnecting all my USB devices, including Time Machine, and it still asks for an activation code.  Again, this may be related to using a new computer in a new location.  That shouldn't matter but who knows?

Did you just install the programs on the new computer?  Have they opened before on this computer?  How did you install them?  From the CD or  from the download?  

I restored from a Time Machine backup.  Every other program I moved to the new machine has worked.

I installed 2021 directly to this machine and although I am currently in a different location it is working, thank God.

For fun I went back to 2014 TT.  It opened!

Is this just a problem with 2019 and 2020?

Well the License Code was a new thing starting with 2019.  So you probably need to enter it the first time on the new computer.  

Unfortunately, while I have the 2021 code, I no longer have the 2019 or 2020.  On top of that I would be hard pressed to find where I bought them and approach the vendor for a code.

Fortunately, I did save copies of the returns.

I was able to get the 2020 code from Amazon and 2019 from Intuit.  However, with what I've read, I'm afraid to try them with what I currently have connected to my computer.

CRM5

I resolved the issue by disconnecting from an encrypted cloud drive. 

fredman26

Same problem as above.  I need to file 1040x for 2019 but can't open my return.  Solution without paying again?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies