turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-File is not available because your tax return includes a tax situation that can't be e-filed. Revisit the Review section to see more details. Make sure to mail your return by your state's due date.

What does this mean? I don’t see anything when I review it that should cause this....
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

E-File is not available because your tax return includes a tax situation that can't be e-filed. Revisit the Review section to see more details. Make sure to mail your return by your state's due date.

It is also possible some forms and schedules included with your tax return have not yet been finalized so that you can file your tax return.

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Please see the link below for reasons you may not be able to e-file your federal return:

When a tax return can't be e-filed no matter what you do

How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can't figure out how to post this question to Turbotax support, and I think I'll get a better answer from CassLO than from Intuit.  If you can advise whether and how to submit this question to Turbotax Support, that would be great.  

I live in Virginia, work for the US State Department, and often am posted overseas for years at a time.  During those years overseas I file a Virginia Income Tax return 760NR (non-resident) or 760PY (part-year), and during those years, Turbotax says I can't e-file.  See: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/when-a-tax-return-can-t-be-e-filed-no-matter-what-you-... where Turbotax Support says "Many nonresident and part-year state returns cannot be e-filed either, due to circumstances beyond our control."  I estimate there are tens of thousands of civilian and military folks serving abroad in the same situation who use Turbotax and who can't efile in Virginia, so the financial and environmental impact of this is HUGE in terms of paper consumed, time consumed by these VA taxpayers and by VA tax employee processors, and shipping costs (including jet fuel) paid by US taxpayers for APO/FPO/DPO international air shipment.  Therefore I am determined to have this wasteful situation fixed, whether that be by getting Turbotax to change its software rules, or getting VA authorities to change their rules or law.  Once we identify who can fix this problem, getting organized support through our employee organizations to pressure whoever can fix the "circumstances beyond our control" will not be hard.  

I spoke with a representative of the VA Dept of Taxation, who said that VA taxpayers CAN indeed efile their state returns even if they use the VA 760NR or 760PY.  I found at efile.com that they say it is "easy" to efile the 760NR or 760PY.  (See: https://www.efile.com/efile-virginia-income-tax-return-file-va-s[product key removed]-refund/ )  So my question for Turbotax is why are you not allowing your users to efile VA 760NR or 760PY filings?  What will it take to end this huge costs to the US and VA taxpayers' budget and to the environment?

Thank you!

Tim Huson

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

"what will it take " ?

taxpayers shall switch to another tax software product that works. Why have you not done so already ?

I hate to tell you but your numbers are way off ... for the possible 200 of you in the world of which maybe only 1/2 will use the TT program it is not cost effective to make this work for so few users ...  try using a different program  and if your AGI is under the correct amount ( $69K or less for 2019) then you can choose from 10 different  totally FREE options thru the IRS FREE FILE link ...  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

incremental jet fuel for a sack of mail for the armed services is negligible compared to fuel cost for tanks rolling around in Afghanistan.

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.  I hadn't been able to find that option.

Critter-3: thanks for the link!  Regarding the number of people with this problem: OK, yes, I’m just guessing, but I’d guesstimate of the 15,000 in the Foreign Service about 2/3 are abroad over half of any given year, about half file Virginia taxes, and about half use Turbotax, so that’s about 2500.  The Department of Defense is so much bigger that I’m guessing there are lots more in the same boat.  So maybe it’s hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands.

Fanfare and Critter-3: The way Turbotax worded it, it sounded like it was Virginia’s rules, and not Turbotax, that prevented me from e-filing.  Only now that I’ve spoken with a Virginia Tax Dept agent and now that you and efile.com indicate that it might be TurboTax’s fault does the option of using another tax software seem like an option. 

Very bad bug from turbotax that has existed for multiple years now.

The only way I found around it was to go to Forms, Infoworksheet (for state), where it says nonresident, enter FM (micronesia) instead of FC (foreign country).

It will populate the correct 763 form, but not mark you as living in a foreign country.  Not the best workaround but better than finding Letter paper in a foreign country, printing out a hundred pages, and mailing it.

Thanks rchen404 for reminding me of this and pointing out that it is indeed a bug in Turbotax.  It doesn't affect me now that I am living in Virginia at the moment, but I am still motivated to get Intuit/Turbotax to fix it due to the waste it causes.  What you describe sounds like a helpful workaround, but most users won't learn of it and might be afraid to use it.  I think Turbotax needs to fix the bug.  I'll try to remember to write them about it.  Can you confirm that the problem is still occuring as of now? 

Thank you! 

Yes, it is still happening.  I called them yesterday.  I'm not holding out hope for a resolution.  It's a bug but the first line help desk don't seem to know anything but the basics.  I think they are outsourced and even years ago, some were working from home (or prison?).  They have tax experts but this is not really a tax question.  This is an error in the software.

Good that you're back in VA.  I hope I can come back soon as well.

unbelievable, this bullS.  they took away the micronesia work-around!!!  zero ways to e-file from abroad

Manage cookies