Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can't activate Turbotax Home and Business

@chris06245 wrote:

Also tried to activate Turbo Tax Home & Business 2020 but activation link would not would.  It just said we hit a snag. Was on the phone for over an hour and then intuit customer service hung up and I got an email saying Case was closed?? These people are worthless.

Are you using the Windows or Mac version?

What does "activation link would not work" mean?   Where was the "we hit a snag?"   Did it even display a popup window for the activation license code to be entered?   Was anything wrong with the activation display screen, or did it act like there was an Internet connection problem?    Are you using a VPN, by any chance?

Reduce your screen size to 800x600.

Then the activation screen should present correctly. 

Once done, just return your screen to your preference size.

Apparently this is a flaw with relatively new devices running newer versions of Windows.

THIS should be linked to EVERYTHING related to this issue!! Took me 2 weeks to finally find the cure to STUPID programming issues! Thanks so much!!

Thank you very much, I have a new computer and spent hours on the phone with Turbo Tax.  The first person I worked with was very nice, but could not resolve.  The send person was a jerk and said it was a Windows issue and I had to wait for a new Windows update, which was NOT the case. 

I'm glad it worked for you as I did exactly the same thing. Very frustrating and with tax time due soon, quite stressful! 

estewart1947
Returning Member

Can’t activate previous year. Of 2018

You don't have to activate 2018 or earlier.  The License Code started last year for 2019 program.  Are you having trouble installing 2018?

kmandcm

Thank you for your advice!  Changing the resolution worked after hours of trying to figure this out.  Yes, I have a new computer.  Unbelievable that this should be an issue!

This is exactly the problem I encountered on my new laptop. Activation screen can't seem to work on any "normal" 4K resolution. Running Win10_20H2. This is just a plain bug that needs to be fixed by the dev team. 

Your solution worked for me on a PC I just purchased (May 2021).  Thank you!

Download Windows 11 the take the dispaly update for Windows 11 that will fix it.

RJM22

Purchased new Lenovo laptop 2 months ago. Recently updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11.  Downloaded TurboTax Home and Business Unable to activate (white screen). Have tried many proposed solutions above but none have worked. Thoughts? Anyone have success installing disc vs downloading? Frustrated. Thx.

Please try changing your screen resolution in order to correct the issue.

Blank activation screen - ttlc.intuit.com

If that doesn't' work, please contact TurboTax support to receive help over the phone.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

RJM22

Thx for response. Still unable to activate. Thought I was making some progress but found other glitches. First, when I restart TT, it says it can help me with my 2020 taxes (which is not loaded on this new laptop; old laptop crashed and don't even have that info anymore). Second, when the dialog box opens prompting me to enter my 16-digit license code I am unable to enter any information in that box. Third, dialed the phone number for support, gave short explanation of problem and got link back to the site where I've spent several hours this afternoon. Will call again and see if I can actually speak with someone. 

RJM22

Spent at least 2 hours on the phone with a TT representative, who was extremely. Unfortunately we were unable to fix the problem, which I believe is due to an incompatibility of the TT product and Windows 11. Thanks for assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies