turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can not install turbotax 2020 on windows 10 laptop. I need update.

@NCperson wrote:

....I called TT 800 tech support and they have an AUTHORIZED workaround to temporarily modify resolution as the workaround when someone has Microsoft Version 20H2 loaded. 

@NCperson, I am surprised the rep did not also read from the TurboTax Help article (link below).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-2019-requests-license-activation-at-every...

Clearly, the activation schema in the 2019 and 2020 versions is problematic.

that link does not describe the problem I had.... on INITIAL activation, I could not get to the activation screen... I either got a blank screen as the activation screen was trying to launch or I got a blue dot.  Changing the resolution permitted me to activate and I have not been asked to activate since then.....

@NCperson wrote:

.....I either got a blank screen as the activation screen was trying to launch or I got a blue dot...

I understand, but is it possible that changing the resolution allowed you to see the whole screen? 

When activation works properly, you see a screen with a number of spinning dots so perhaps the resolution was only allowing you to see one dot. Those of us (mostly Champs at this point) who are experiencing activation issues (on installs) on some of our machines are not seeing any dots ----- ever ------ just blank screens which indicates we are not being connected to the activation server (or something similar).

sometimes I saw no dots - just the blank activation screen and sometimes the blue dot appeared and stopped.  In some tries I left the laptop sit for over 10 minutes and the activation screen never appeared.

Once I changed the resolution as instructed by TT 800 support, voila! the activation screen appeared, I could paste in the license number and get the green check indicated I was activated.  

it's the strangest thing I ever seen on a laptop.

The users I know who are experiencing activation issues can see the screen but, after a period of time, the screen indicates they are not connected to the internet; obviously, your issue differed.

malwms1

No Laptop or PC. Will not load auto from disc. Trioed InstallTurbotax.com. message that did not reconize

Life1

So I have been reading through the treads and have talked to tech support endless hours. With the basic response "its not our problem". This activation process has even affected last years product that worked fine until this 2020 install. Now i can not get the old version to work.

So what is the work around for Windows 10 enterprise with Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 of windows? I looked over the solutions. They don't work. My issue is the program states that it has no internet connection but it clearly updates itself. I can not activate the product because of this. I can briefly see the screen to enter the key  code before it switches screen to say you re not connected to the internet. Does any one know a manual work around. Maybe edit a *.ini file or the registry.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

The link provided below offers a couple of different solutions that may resolve this issue. If none of these solutions work, I would suggest reaching back out to TurboTax Customer Service for support.

Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Life1

The suggestions provided do not resolve the issue. The main issue is TT will not acknowledge there is an internet connection available. Tech support does not seem to know how to resolve the issue. I have already registered the program when I down loaded it. (After getting the same result from the install CD.

As previously stated the program will update itself even after the successful install. But it will not allow the activation code to be entered because the activation screen times out too quickly before the program returns with the statement that it in not connected to the internet. "try again" button is displayed. No matter now many times you "push" the button so it tries to go out to check to establish communication it returns the same value. " You are not connected to the Internet". The opening screen shows that it is checking for updates while loading. It even installs them and shows what is new. But entering the program after that point shows that it requires activation and again no internet connection.

My Suggestion is there should be a written script that TT could provide to bypass this activation screen process if you prove to them that you purchased it. I know that this is an issue and it seem to affect this window 10 build. I have been reading about them in other forums looking for a solution.

I am willing to try them. I just want a resolve so i can do my taxes since I can not always connect to the internet to use and update the program.

Thanks. Looking forward to someone's fix to the issue at hand.

Life1

Resolution to the problem of no internet connection for validation even though you have a valid connection.

The Lord provided a solution to the issue after literally weeks of research and program testing of every solution presented. Someone wrote an internet connection program in 2009. It is free, virus free and it works to resolve my issues and hopefully others issues as well. The program does not require installation. The link is attached below

[removed]

jbdragonwagon
Returning Member

I have windows 10 also, and the software would not download.  What are we supposed to do? What update? Windows or Turbo?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If you're having trouble updating your TurboTax 2020 for Windows Individual software using the "Check for Updates" method, you can get the latest federal program update using the link provided below:

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@TiffanyL wrote:

If you're having trouble updating your TurboTax 2020 for Windows Individual software using the "Check for Updates" method, you can get the latest federal program update using the link provided below:

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

Unfortunately, that is not the latest update as of the date of this post.

For whatever reason, the link is to R8 and not the most current update available through online updating.

Life1

Resolution to internet connection problem during the activation process when the internet connection is working fine for everything else.

The  removed web link below:

website: internet-connection-repair-tool.en.uptodown.com/windows/download

I find it more then annoying that after doing literally weeks of research of problem solving to resolve the issue and having wasted countless hours with TT tech support for resolve. That a legitimate link to fix and resolve the issue was removed. Whomever monitors the posts could have at least disabled the hyperlink portion of it and let the end user decide if they wanted to at least try it. I firmly believe that this is VERY POOR customer service in my opinion.

I retyped the address above. Feel free to copy and past it before it is removed. Feel free to read my prior posts and see if your issues with activation are similar in nature with this product. FYI I had the same issue when I tried to activate Quicken Home and Business program (I did the same amount of research with no resolve plus wasted hours with their tech support. This solution provided above resolved both issues with the activation of the products.

Lesson learned from this experience is when trying to help others on this forum. Just buy the competitor's product it will be a lot less stressful.

R_W_B2
Returning Member

I have switched out of Windows10  S, and was able to install Turbotax 2020, but the Activation screen is locked and blank.  Any ideas?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies