turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anyone else experienced TT forcing you onto the freefile product? I've used Premier online for years. Email from TT forces me onto Freefile and quite difficult to switch.

I don't qualify for Freefile and TT knows this - especially after spending two hours entering all my info. But the only way to switch products is to clear everything and start over. I finally had to search for another link to TT and start from ground zero selecting a product. TT did not offer the opportunity to select product the first time around, as if forced me to the Freefile product.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Anyone else experienced TT forcing you onto the freefile product? I've used Premier online for years. Email from TT forces me onto Freefile and quite difficult to switch.

Is it possible that you might have been directed to the IRS Free file site. If so, you are correct that you won't be upgraded...to begin your return in TurboTax Premier, you want to make sure you are using the product located on TurboTax's official website.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

You will start with our TurboTax Free Edition and if your tax situation requires an upgrade, we’ll let you know.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information:

No, that is not how it is working. It accepted all of my inputs and finally told me I didn't qualify for Freefile.  Of course, I already knew I would not qualify, and would need a different product. The problem is that it would not allow an upgrade to a different product; it forced me to clear all info and start over from the beginning. As an aside, every year I have used TT Online, I have been presented with a screen to select my product at the outset - but the system did not present any options as it forced me into Freefile and allowed me to continue to input all the data, and still didn't offer an upgrade option to a different product. 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Is it possible that you might have been directed to the IRS Free file site. If so, you are correct that you won't be upgraded...to begin your return in TurboTax Premier, you want to make sure you are using the product located on TurboTax's official website.

That is correct. The problem is that TT is sending email reminders to regular customers with a link to "Click Here To Begin Your 2020 Taxes" -- and the link provided takes customers to the Freefile site -- and once a customer is in the Freefile section it is impossible to easily exit and go to the regular TT site to select a different product. The email sent to existing customers does not offer different links to either the Freefile or the Regular TT website. One must locate the regular TT website and begin there by selecting a product if not eligible for Freefile. This is quite cumbersome and annoying, when TT knows which product a customer has used in the past. Forcing us to the Freefile site without offering options to go to the regular site and select a product is terrible. 

uffeH

Hi,

I ran into the exact same problem! Did you figure out how to upgrade back to turbotax premier?? Super annoying...

Sadly, there's no easy way to do it without starting over on your return even if you've already entered all the info on all forms. Plus, it's tricky getting to the page on TT where you can actually select the Premier product. Using any of the links TT sent me in email, I end up at the free file product and can't escape that. Instead, I have to go to the TT main page as a new customer and select the Premier product. Then I can sign-in there and proceed with a blank slate. TT does have all my info from previous years, so prior years' information and carryovers are intact.

go to google and type in "TurboTax".

Yes, you will have to start fresh. And pay to boot.

It is mid March (bugs should be fixed by now) and no matter what browser I use or even what computer, as soon as I log in I'm back to the freefile version -- which I never wanted in the first place!!  If I have to start over perhaps I will have to use a different product altogether.

Its just a shame because I've used Turbotax for many years.

I've logged out completely, gone to PREMIER VERSION link and clicked that - logged in - and I'm back to the free version.  It's maddening!!!!

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Amazing Yogi of the Golden Realm TurboTax Freefile (not TurboTax Free) is a "separate" product in that it is not directly linked to the other TurboTax online products.  Once you start a return or set up an account in that edition, you would need to set up a new account/login to be able to use one of the other TurboTax online products (such as TurboTax Deluxe or Premier).

I would suggest setting up a new account in TurboTax Premier, and then reach out to customer service to see if there is a way to transfer your data from the Freefile edition to Premier.  Otherwise, your only other option will be re-entering everything from the beginning.

We all understand freefile is a different product. And we've concluded there's no way to transfer info entered in freefile to Premier. The problem so many are encountering is that the emails we receive from Intuit (as long-time Premier customers) force us onto the freefile product. This is a serious problem Intuit's marketing department should be addressing. Numerous customers are having problems getting to the main TT page where Premier can be selected. 

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Thank you for your feedback.  In this public forum, we are limited to address requests such as this.  Since you have a suggestion which can benefit us to continue to provide high-quality customer experience, please share your comments at the following location where they can be addressed:  TurboTax Support Contact Us Page – Get Help from TurboTax

Seems as if the reverse has happened to me. I want to use the free edition but TT is forcing me to the premier version.  Can I switch to free from premier?

@bob e meyer wrote:

Seems as if the reverse has happened to me. I want to use the free edition but TT is forcing me to the premier version.  Can I switch to free from premier?

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2020 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

OR - 

You can use the TurboTax Free File Program - https://freefile.intuit.com/

IRS Free File Program - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/
If you are eligible you can use the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns with the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $39,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2020 AGI of $72,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the difference between the Free File Program and the Free edition - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-pr...
And see this TurboTax support FAQ on how to switch to the TurboTax Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies