turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 turbotax 16-digid activation code not working

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please see My code doesn't work for instructions if your code is not working. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My 14 digit code for TurboTax 2020 was working in Feb 2021 and all through May 2021.  I just went to open the application again July 2021.  It made me upgrade and re enter the Product License.  It did not take my 14 digit activation code.  It does not let me open my saved filing from earlier.  It is acting as if I was never using the application. 

It's so frustrating there is no where to email or notify TurboTax support even to report my issue let alone remedy.  Looks like my time is up and I only paid for a half year limited use of the application.  I'm as upset there is no means to report issue to TurboTax Support as I am that I'm now locked out of my PURCHASED application!

@ lmb99 wrote:

My 14 digit code for TurboTax 2020 was working in Feb 2021 and all through May 2021.  I just went to open the application again July 2021.  It made me upgrade and re enter the Product License.  It did not take my 14 digit activation code.  It does not let me open my saved filing from earlier.  It is acting as if I was never using the application. 

It's so frustrating there is no where to email or notify TurboTax support even to report my issue let alone remedy.  Looks like my time is up and I only paid for a half year limited use of the application.  I'm as upset there is no means to report issue to TurboTax Support as I am that I'm now locked out of my PURCHASED application!

Something is not clear.  2020 software does not use a "14-digit code."    It is 2019 TurboTax software that requires a 14-digit activation code.   It is 2020 software that has a 16-digit activation code.  It sounds like you were trying to use the wrong code in the 2020 product.

The activation code does not expire, but is wedded to the particular tax year's software.  It is limited to 5 activations.

If your 2020 software was asking you to re-enter the 16-digit activation code, here's the most common reason:

It can often be due to a USB drive or device that has changed since you installed TurboTax, such as a thumb drive, other external drive, USB printer, etc.

If you have a USB drive/device plugged into a USB port at the same time you are launching TurboTax, then unplug (or turn off) the USB drive/device, and then try launching the TurboTax program again. See if that solves the problem.    Or try it the other way around. i.e., if you had a USB drive/device plugged in initially when you installed TurboTax originally, but don't now, then plug that USB drive/device back in and try.

It can work both ways depending on what the system config was like at initial activation.

That happened to me one day when I forgot I had a USB thumb drive plugged in.  TurboTax asked me to reactivate, but once I removed the thumb drive, TurboTax launched normally.

Another user reported it can also happen if one inserts one of those tiny SD memory cards after activation, or the other way around if there was one inserted at the time of initial activation.

Otherwise, if that's not your issue, here's how to reach Customer Support on Monday so they can quiz you to figure out your issue.

Hours are currently 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

The 2020 program uses a 16 digit code ... the 14 digit code was used for the 2019 program ... so are you entering in the correct one ?

Where is the License Code?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

The downloaded version never needs to be upgraded as all downloaded versions can handle all the tax forms ... so  did you log into the ONLINE program by mistake ?   

I did find 16 digit code and did enter it into TurboTax 2020, and still locked out.  I shouldn't have to go mine for my codes after application are up and running!

Makes no sense that the same computer and application on it where I already filed return now locks me out. It forced an update prior to opening the application and then cut me off from using it.  It gave me error code 605 with the 16 digit code.

Contact support on Monday. 

PS this is the Desktop version.  I know of No Other Applications that would update and force customers to go back and find their license codes.  Regardless of Intuit's mind boggling process, I did find my license code and it didn't let me into use my purchased application or look at my filed return :(

Thanks though for helping!

**bleep** that worked!  I just unplugged my USB thumb drive and booted-up no problem.  Didn't even have to reboot.

@stuboyle wrote:

that worked!  I just unplugged my USB thumb drive and booted-up no problem.  Didn't even have to reboot.

Great news!  I'm glad it worked for you.  Good luck.

FrankFico

In my opinion Turbo Tax has the absolute worst customer service and help desk support of any product I have ever purchased.  I have the same frustration as you.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Is there something we can provide assistance on to improve your experience?

@FrankFico

NickEEE62

I agree.  I was working with a tech support person for about an hour who knew absolutely nothing about how to fix this issue.  Others have experienced the same issue yet TT has not figured out the problem.  I would hope that if someone in this forum has found a fix, they would be willing to share it with others.  I have used TT since 1999 and have always purchased the CD.  This is the first year I attempted to download without using the CD as my newer computer does not have a CD insert.   A refund request may be my only recourse.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax article and let us know if this resolution works.

How do I fix blank screens during activation or in-product purchases in TurboTax Desktop for Windows...

Manage cookies