turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

klattw

1921 error while loading turbotax 2020

Tried installing 2020 Premier 5 times, 2 with the cd, 3 from the downloaded file. All freeze up at 9% with an error code of 1921...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

You can download your software directly from TurboTax.

1. Go to InstallTurboTax.com.

2. Set up a TurboTax account if you don't already have one. If you do, sign in. (If you don’t remember your credentials, you can walk through our Account Recovery page to see if you already have an account.)

3. Enter your license code in the pop up window.

• It’s a 16-character combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) that can be found on your CD box insert, envelope, or packing slip. (Note: The 2019 product has a 14-character code that looks like this: XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)

4. Select your operating system, and select Get Download.

5. Download your software and install.

• When you get to the Your product is installed, now let's activate it screen, enter your license code in the License code box, and select Continue to complete installation.

Please click I bought the CD, but my computer doesn't have a CD drive to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RBEG
Level 1

I tried several times. The install stalls at 9% complete. this is for 2020 Business for Windows.

RBEG
Level 1

I tried your idea 4 times it did not work. 

The solution given does not work and does not apply to this issue.  The software has been dowloaded and when you run the executable file it gets to 9% and doesn't go beyond and it eventully errors out with the 1921 error message.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

For the " Error 1921: Service 'Intuit Update Service' (IntuitUpdateService) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services when attempting to update TurboTax, please see the FAQ link posted below for a solution. Please let us know if this helps:

Error 1921: "Service 'Intuit Update Service' (IntuitUpdateService) could not be stopped..."

I'm sorry, but your solution doesn't work.  Please post something here that really can be fixed.  I need to get my taxes done and I'm stuck in install limbo.  Post a viable answer.  Thank you!

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you tried the steps recommended by @TiffanyL and they did not resolve the error message please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

The Contact Us page does not have the options that were listed in the FAQ. It is a blank page.

@rsfite17 wrote:

The Contact Us page does not have the options that were listed in the FAQ. It is a blank page.

This link - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Doesn't look blank to me -

Contact Us Website.JPG

CAT1650

I am also stuck at 9% while loading.  I tried to go online and get into my account (I have used Turbo Tax for years)  it won't accept my password and when I try to set a new password and put in the six-digit verification number, I am taken back to the previous screen.  This is so frustrating.  I have tried calling and am no on a 30-minute call back.  Your services used to be the best, now they have gone right down the toilet.

TaxTou2
Returning Member

TurboTax home and Business 2020. Tried this several times, but loading stalls after 9 min in. 

What is the solution??? 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try a manual update by following the instructions below.

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Bas...

If you continue to have an issue please contact TurboTax support.

What is the TurboTax phone number? 

How can you manually update something that was never installed??  We are all complaining that the installer gets to 9% and then stops, then rolls back the installation.  If you don't have a viable solution, please say so.  We can all then get a refund of the money we spent on software that does not install.

Thank you

Did they ever resolve your issue?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies