turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Itsdeductible being discontinued.. WHAT???

That is just the way it is ... the FREE service will be discontinued.  And it is a FREE service since you don't need to use any TT program to use it.  Just because it downloads to the TT paid programs doesn't mean it was not a free axillary tool.   And I do NOT work for TT... I am an uninterested third party simply stating basic facts. 

Did Turbotax consider this will make it easier for people to jump to other tax software? One reason why I used Turbotax was Itsdeductible and the ability to transfer. May give TT a second thought when comes time to buy for next year.....

I’ll say it one more time and then try to be quiet. The fact that it was “FREE” (all caps is your idea not mine) has been toTTs credit. And it’s gained them customers. In the old days it was not free but many of us used it anyway. Doing this 2/3 of the way through a tax year is irresponsible and makes us all want to think very hard about continuing to use TT.

I agree with the user above.

I looked at Mint but it asks for accounts to link with and does not seem to have an option to bypass this. I am just looking for a free alternative to ItsDeductible which allows me to input item, get an estimated value and record that for tax deductions. I do NOT  need a program which needs to link with all accounts and find donations that way.

Can you suggest a viable alternative?

Roger that !!!

I have looked online and found one "free option" on PDFfiller.  Yet it will take some figuring out how to work.  Looks like you just need to fill it out, yet it doesn't do the calculation as far as I can tell.  Please let me know if anyone figures out another alternative.  It's Deductible has been a mainstay in my preparation for taxes for years.  I always find that I underestimate how much an item is worth.

https://dona[product key removed].com/jsfiller-desk18/?requestHash=ee74ed5aab2602778b1a9dd1bffac9028...

I'm bummed, but I can live with keeping a list another way.  This program was just so much easier than trying to keep track of everything offline and enter it manually at tax filing time.  

Now if they would just have an export to CSV or Excel option, I would at least be able to get all of my 2022 activity into a usable format for tracking till the end of the year.

Sigh...

I've downloaded 16 years of Item and Summary PDF files from ItsDeductible.  That gives me charity names and addresses and some recent valuations to use for typical donated items.

I'll probably set up a spreadsheet to enter charity, date, items, quantity, and valuations based the the above recent item summaries.  That's about the same level of effort as entering data in ItsDeductible.

The much larger burden arises when I need to manually enter summaries by charity, date, and item into TurboTax.

Absolutely a CSV or Excel format option for archiving files AND file names starting with the year not type donation. 

Now one gets a filename Items 2018 so that all the years item files are grouped instead of all the files from one year.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree completely. Shutting this down in October is absurd!

Agree or not, posting a complaint on this board will not change the result. 

Energies would be better directed toward finding a suitable replacement for the program.

Here's a twisted idea for someone with lots of time on their hands.  Create an item donation for a single charity with 1 of every item of potential interest.  That provides a record of the current item valuations for use (e.g., in a spreadsheet of donations) that can be downloaded as a PDF.

An even better idea is for Intuit to provide the current valuations in ItsDeductible of all items in a CSV or XLS file for use by the community from which they're removing this valuable resource. This should be a simple file to generate from their database.

saks5th
Returning Member

I agree with most other posters here in that the business decision might make sense for Intuit but the timing is quite frankly poor. Why enable the functionality for 2022 and then let customers know in JUNE that the service will be discontinued in OCTOBER? I understand it is indeed a free tool BUT I bet it has brought Intuit a fair amount of new customers into their ecosystem and paid services. Unfortunately this is just another nail in the Intuit coffin, which for me started with making a complete mess of Quicken before pawning it off to someone else. Now itsdeductible will be gone, which just leaves me with TurboTax itself. Without the integration points, it might be time to consider other options in the tax preparation space as well. It is a FREE market after all. AND NO Mint is not an option for me as I'm not interested in connecting my accounts nor do I want to be bombarded with ads.

I, too, am disappointed, as there is no real alternative to ItsDeductible's functionality, especially for loading charitable giving into TurboTax. If anyone finds a REAL alternative that can do the same for the several dozens of charitable donations I do every year, my effort to file taxes just got much larger.

I agree that Mint is a bad idea.  I've worked in financial risk/fraud for years and would never use an aggregator like Mint. I also use Quicken, but never use Express Web Connect, which aggregates account info at Quicken.

However, I believe that Intuit selling Quicken to a separate company turned out to be an improvement. Upgrades to Quicken have been done much more regularly and seem targeted toward both adding features and fixing bugs since the transition. And, although the subscription model initially felt "wrong", it does provide an affordable income stream to Quicken, allowing some income stability from their users.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies