turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return. Getting error "invalid sign on"

If you are using TurboTax Online, please try logging completely out of the TurboTax website, then clear your browser's cache and delete cookies. A full or corrupted cache can keep TurboTax from functioning properly. 

If you continue to have issues please reach out to a TurboTax representative for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return. Getting error "invalid sign on"

restarting the app made it work

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Glad to hear it! Thank you for letting us know. 

@asdfl76

walter white
Returning Member

I tried everything, not working. Pls confirm if Vanguard import will not work as I have to manually enter all info which is very frustrating to say the least. It works fine with other brokerage accounts. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Vanguard should be working. What is happening when you try to do the import @walter white ?

When I try to do the import from Vanguard, I get an error indicating, "This import was unsuccessful. Internal server error."

Error when trying to import from Vanguard to TurboTax Premier 2021Error when trying to import from Vanguard to TurboTax Premier 2021

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax help article to assist with troubleshooting your import issue.

What if I can't import my 1099?

If you continue to have issues please reach out to a TurboTax representative for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Gordon3

Thank you for the reply. @MichelleLO 

By following the “What if I can't import my 1099?” link, I see that “Fidelity Investments” and “Vanguard Group - Brokerage Account” are listed as 1099/1098 Partners. “Vanguard Group - Mutual Fund Accounts” is also a partner. The data transfer works if I try creating a return online, but I’ve already purchased the CD version of TurboTax Premier 2021, and I’d rather maintain control of my tax data.

Calling the TurboTax Phone Number gets you in touch with a robot that will email a link to import data and then refers you to turbotax.com/support. I tried but made no progress there.

At least I can reproduce the problem. With my tax file open, I can navigate starting at the File pulldown menu via “File > Import > From Financial Institution”. Alternatively form the “FEDERAL TAXES” tab I can view my import summary, select “Add Other Documents” and chose “Import from my band or brokerage”. That leads me to something like what is shown below, but I added the red ovals.

TT Import From Financial Instution.jpg

Note that both Fidelity’s and Vanguard’s logos appear right on the TurboTax software’s user interface. What is different from recent years is that rather than using a username and password to access the data, one has to provide that account number and document ID, both of which appear on a hard copy or PDF version of a 1099 from Vanguard or Fidelity. Various accounts at both institutions get me to this.

Import unsuccessful.jpg

As noted above, the data transfer works if I try creating a return online. It could be something local to my machine, but searching the web for TurboTax users trying to import data from Vanguard suggests it is not only my equipment, not by a long shot.

It may well be user error or a problem with my equipment. It might also be something wrong with the software or online services.

This thread started with @emilclu indicating, “I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return.” I’m also trying to get that to work, and also trying to get similar data from Fidelity.

I’ve seen the references to Contact Support, which I have tried, but my effort there is no more effective than what we see in this thread.

I’ve seen the references to TurboTax Import Partners and found the 1099/1098 Partners List. Amongst many others, the list includes

• Vanguard Group - Brokerage Account
  • Vanguard Group - Mutual Fund Accounts
  • Fidelity Investments

@walter white was seems to have been able import from at least some account. In past years, it worked for me too.

In my case, my Vanguard Mutual Fund Accounts were changed to Vanguard Brokerage Accounts several years ago. I find the 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc., for the brokerage account has been easier to uses, at least in my past years of using TurboTax.

If one tries importing data from a Vanguard Brokerage Account, the Desktop TurboTax Premier 2021 application asks for Account Number and Document ID.

Vanguard Brokerage Account Import Prompt - CD TurboTax Premier 2021Vanguard Brokerage Account Import Prompt - CD TurboTax Premier 2021

As @MyaD indicates, I can obtain the Account Number and Document ID from the top of a PDF version of the 1099 PDF file that I was able to download from Vanguard’s website to my desktop computer.

V-account and doc id.jpg

If one tries importing data from a Vanguard Mutual Fund Account, the Desktop TurboTax Premier 2021 application asks for a User name and Password.

VBMF sign on.jpg

I was still unable to download tax data from Vanguard and Fidelity to TurboTax Premier 2021 installed on my desktop computer. I get this:

Import unsuccessful.jpg

As the error dialog box indicates, this may indeed be a server side problem, I do not know. What does “Internal server error” suggests? If it is as indicated, trying this may work on another day.

When I try the online version of TurboTax, I can import the data from PDF versions of 1099 forms from Vanguard and Fidelity. I only had one 1099 that I could not import as PDF, and that is from TreasuryDirect, which seems a bit ironic.

K-1 forms for limited partnerships are another matter. In that case, the TurboTax on my desktop computer can import the K-1, but the online version cannot. For the online version, I hand entered the K-1 data, and that is more difficult than it seems. Furthermore, the software's Federal Review catches errors in what I entered, and finding the information needed to resolve the matter is not straightforward.  I'm using the online version for now because it can import from Vanguard and Fidelity.

I might get as far as I can with the online version of the tax return, then transfer that file to my desktop. I could delete the K-1's, and then re-import them electronically. I think one or more of the K-1's will be revised soon so I will need to update those at that time.

I think I figured this out. I have (1) a work around, and (2) what I think is a fix to the underlying problem.

The work around is easy and if it works for you than in suggests that you are having the same problem that I was having. But I first want to point out that I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042, and TurboTax Premier 2021 that was installed from a CD.

The work around is to simply keep trying until the failure goes away.

Step 1: The work around scenario begins when you encounter the error below.

Import-unsuccessful-01.jpg

Step 2: Click on the “OK” button as shown below.

Import unsuccessful.jpg

Step 3: Click the “Continue” button as shown below.

Import-unsuccessful-02.jpg

Step 4: If that did not work, go back at step 2 and try again; otherwise the work around got you past the problem. I had to go through this loop a few times and did encounter a different error, which believe it or not is an indication that you are getting past what appears to be the underlying issue.

The underlying issue appears to be DNS lookup failures, which are intermittent as of some Windows 10 version that Microsoft pushed out, seemingly at some point in 2021. Google found answers that seem to vary in regards to when that actually happened.

The short description of the fix is to set a different DNS server IP address (as opposed to obtaining it automatically). I post again to address that fix. It also resolves another issue that occurs when starting TurboTax. When I start TurboTax, I get this error.

Error on TurboTax startup.jpg

The good thing about the work around is that you do not need to change anything that may seem suspect. The apparent fix on the other hand is something I think you should read up on unless the subject matter is familiar, as there are folks on the web that may have something other than good will in mind.

I think this is the fix.

The underlying issue appears to be DNS lookup failures, which are intermittent as of some Windows 10 version that Microsoft pushed out, seemingly at some point in 2021. The short description of the fix is to set a different DNS server IP address (as opposed to obtaining it automatically). It also resolves another issue that occurs when starting TurboTax. When I start TurboTax, I get this error.

Error on TurboTax startup.jpg

The picture above at least shows where the application was nice enough to offer the “Try Again” button. The error also tells us, “(Error 42001: The remote name could not be resolved: ‘downloadpatch.est.intuit.com)”. The part about resolving a name suggests DNS (The Domain Name Service, which provides the ability to map domain names (e.g., intuit.com) to internet protocol addresses (e.g., 184.30.81.31)). If one looks at the “More details”, it is more apparent. See the mention of “Name resolution failure”.

Name resolution failure2.jpg

If TurbTax is encountering issues with DNS when trying to locate the software update/patch server at Intuit.com, it seems likely to have similar issues with DNS when trying to locate some financial institution’s (such as Vanguard's) server address. If the underlying problem is the same, one fix would address both problems.

How do we fix this?

Click the Windows 10 start button, start typing “control panel” and launch that program when you see it.

launch control panel.jpg

Click “View network status and tasks”.

Control Panel View Network.jpg

Click “Local Area Connection”.

local area connection.jpg

Click “Properties”.

LAN Properties.jpg

Select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and then click “Properties”.

IPV4.jpg

I changed mine from “Obtain DNS address automatically” to what you see below. Note: if you are uncomfortable making this change, you might feel better if you use Google to search for 208.67.222.222 and for 208.67.220.220.

OpenDNS.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. That was very straight forward and it helped me to resolve the issue.

invbob1

Same  error even though I entered "Vanguard" to get into the Vangaurd brokerage info as the employee comment  above suggested.

@invbob1 

Are you getting this error?

Import unsuccessful.jpg

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Try closing the program, clear your Cache and Cookies and try the import again (yes, even if you are using the CD/Download version).

You may want to turn off virus protection while importing. 

TurboTax is using your default browser in the background for importing.

If you're still unable to import, you can save a PDF of your 1099-B to your computer and attach it to your return (and enter summary info only).

Here's How to Enter a Summary in Lieu of Individual Transactions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies