turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return. Getting error "invalid sign on"

I was simply trying to better understand the post by @invbob1. If the error is indeed what I asked about, the solution I posted earlier in this thread seemed to work for me and apparently for @Shigeru Suzuki. I'm left to guess what OS @invbob1 is using.

Clearing cache, turning of anti-virus and firewalls did not work for me.

I was able to demonstrate that specifying which DNS server should be used cleared the problem. Allowing Windows 10 to instead automatically obtain the DNS server brings the problem back. Is anyone reporting this issue on a Mac? Its repeatable and reproducible on Windows 10.

That explanation is also consistent with the error messages TurboTax software generated at other points where it was having trouble with DNS. The TurboTax programmer's put that "Try Again" button (noted a few posts back) for some reason. Specifying the DNS server also resolves that.

I'm trying to import Vanguard tax data into my tax return. Getting error "invalid sign on"

I am trying to download my Vanguard Brokerage data into Turbo Tax 2021.  However I keep getting an error message from Vanguard that I can't log in.  Please help.

i have used account and document numbers to try to download my Vanguard brokerage data into my 1099-R.  It refuses to download, saying those aren't the correct login and password.

Most Financial companies now use two factor authentication as part of their security upgrades. Therefore a one factor authentication that most import software use will no longer work. Some of the financial companies, at your request, can disable two factor authentication as they are aware of the problem it causes. If they can't, then I'm not sure  what the work around is but certainly hope that a solution is determined.  

@scflaming1 

If you are getting an error, “saying those aren't the correct login and password”, it would seem that you need help from Vanguard more than from Inuit or the TurboTax community.

I had a 1099-R from a Vanguard Brokerage account. When I downloaded the content, I left out the blank spaces that are shown for the “Document ID” on the PDF version of the form that I downloaded from Vanguard’s website. If that does not work, I suggest giving Vanguard a call.

To @sgordon999's point, when accessing Vanguard’s website, I do occasionally have to receive a text message and enter a code, which is a form of two factor authentication. The “Document ID” on the 1099 forms also seems rather unique but not quite as short lived as a code received via text. I am not aware of any other purpose for the “Document ID”.

I ran in to this as well. I found that I was choosing the wrong option in the "import from institution" box. Did you select Vanguard brokerage account or Vanguard mutual funds? I can't remember the exact wording but try the other Vanguard option and see if you get the password/login prompt instead of the doc ID/account number option. This might work for you. It worked for me.

Using iMac, cannot import mutual fund 1099s from Vanguard either. The brokerage download, for which Turbotax asks for the document # and account worked. But for mutual fund accounts it needs me to sign in to Vanguard. Does not work; tells me to contact Vanguard. They say to call Turbotax. I do have the 10999s on my computer since I downloaded them from Vanguard 2 weeks ago. This feature has worked in previous years. Seems like a Turbotax problem. 

@Edward1940

You are probably trying to import too soon.  Usually financial institutions have the information online for you to view or print earlier than they have it ready for importing into the tax software.  It is often about mid-February before you can import 1099R's, 1099B's , etc.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the feedback. When I spoke with Vanguard, they told me to call Turbotax. Also, I was able to import one 1099 from a brokerage acct,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies