turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Deeaixa

I have a ".tax2018" file. How do I open it?

Dont have my w-2 for 2018 or 2019 how can I get them files if I'm not in that city anymore

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

To get a full form W2 you will need to contact your employer(s). They can possibly send by email or give you access online and can definitely mail to you. 

The other option you have is to get a partial W2 via the IRS, to file your federal returns only. No state information will be on the transcript. 

Here is a link to order a wage and income transcript.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I want to download and print my tax return from 2018.

@davidscruggs wrote:

I want to download and print my tax return from 2018.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

See this TurboTax support FAQ for accessing prior year online tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $50 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

wmdavido

I have a account I need to find the reason irs tax return was denied. Maybe my AGI was wrong' Did they send you a code. If they did what does it mean. I cannot get a transcript by mail and they say my info online is incorrect. [email address removed] [phone number removed] can you reply William

@ wmdavido wrote:

I have a account I need to find the reason irs tax return was denied. Maybe my AGI was wrong' Did they send you a code. If they did what does it mean. I cannot get a transcript by mail and they say my info online is incorrect. [email address removed] [phone number removed] can you reply William Orr

Be aware this is a public Internet forum.  Do not post personal info in the public forum.  It looks like the forum privacy filter caught most of it and removed it for your protection.   You can edit your question to remove your name, if you wish.  To do that click the tiny blue 3-dot icon just to the right of your comment, and in the dropdown menu choose Edit.

This is mainly a user community forum, not a direct route to TurboTax Support.  Little information was provided in your comment, so I'm going to have to start doing some guessing.

Please explain what "IRS tax return was denied" means.   Do you mean an efiled return was rejected, so the IRS never started processing it?   And what tax year?   Since you are posting in a thread whose topic is the 2018 data file, I presume you are asking about a 2018 return.  Was your efiled 2018 return rejected last year, and you're just now finding out about it?   You should have gotten an email with the rejection error/message at the time, but it could have gone to your email's spam/junk folder, or you may not have received it.

We can tell you once more once it becomes clear what all you are referring to.

netty3100

please help me open my 2018 taxes

@netty3100 wrote:

please help me open my 2018 taxes

First, you need to explain what the roadblock is.   Since you provided no details about what you are doing, I'll assume you are asking about the *.tax2018 data file since that's the title topic of this thread you chose to post in.   Do you have the  *.tax2018 data file on your computer, and do you have the 2018 software (CD/download) installed on your computer?    Are you using a Mac or Windows PC?

Here's how to open the data file, at least for the Windows version:

Launch the 2018 TurboTax program, and at the main screen go up to the TurboTax top menu bar and click on the FILE menu.  In the dropdown menu choose OPEN TAX RETURN.   Then in the little file directory popup, point TurboTax to the location of the *.tax2018 data file.   In Windows, the default location for TurboTax data files is in the \Documents\TurboTax folder, but it depends on where you saved the file.

When you do that, if you encounter any roadblock, then you need to describe it, and whether there are any error messages.

Here's one common problem that some people encounter:

If your *.tax2018 data file has a state return in it, then in order to open it, the 2018 desktop software must also have the state program installed first, or you'll get an error message.   If that's your situation, then you need to install the state program into your TurboTax first.   To do that,  you may have to start a new dummy 2018 return just long enough to download the state program.

nw24

need to view 2018 return

@nw24 wrote:

need to view 2018 return

Sorry, but there's not enough information.  The title of this thread is about the *.tax2018 data file and opening it with desktop software.   Is that your issue, or something else?    Or was your return prepared in Online TurboTax?  Please explain in full how your 2018 return was prepared and what is preventing you from viewing it.  Or are you having trouble finding it?

pthunen
Returning Member

I downloaded this softward originally from Amazon and they no longer support it. Meanwhile, I had to reinstall Windows 10 and lost my copy. So, how can I use this 2018 info for the 2019 software?

What did you download from Amazon?  The 2018 or 2019 program?  You dint need the 2018 program installed to do 2019.  You only need the tax data file ending in .tax2018 on your computer to transfer into 2019.

What do you need?

Amazon article on how to download software,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201380160

kenk5
Returning Member

What a mess.  I finally found my CD and installed turbotax 2018 on my PC to view a 2018 tt file. 

Today I went into tt2018 to print the forms for applying for a home loan.  It did an update and now cannot find ANY tt files, actually if I click on the *.* filter it sees nothing.  If I use windows explorer the files are in the directory.

I've loved and used tt for decades.  Now things are taking a turn for the worse.

I'm just glad I found a PDF I saved otherwise I's be out of luck.

I need help getting my 2018 tax return.  I need some information from the return.  What should I do?

Curtis Veach

@macombstud wrote:

I need help getting my 2018 tax return.  I need some information from the return.  What should I do?

How was your 2018 prepared--in Online TurboTax or in desktop software (CD/download)?    If desktop software, do you have the *.tax2018 data file and the 2018 program?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies