Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have a ".tax2018" file. How do I open it?

I completed tax year with turbo tax but never filed it.  How do I retrieve it?

How do I download the state CD?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To retrieve and file the .tax2018 file, you must use 2018 software.

If the state was not purchased in 2018, it will need to be purchased now when downloading. For more information, see: Download TurboTax State (Windows)

@ericagrand

When I tried to open turbotax2018, I was required to update the program - to 2020 - and now I can't open the 2018 file.  Any suggestions?  I do have the original installation disk, but suspect that installing and opening it will only lead to another update to 2020.

@BobZahm789 wrote:

When I tried to open turbotax2018, I was required to update the program - to 2020 - and now I can't open the 2018 file.  Any suggestions?  I do have the original installation disk, but suspect that installing and opening it will only lead to another update to 2020.

If you have the 2018 CD for the TurboTax program you should install the program for 2018 so that you can open the 2018 tax data file.  Any updates received when you start the 2018 program will only be for tax year 2018.

Each tax year is a separate TurboTax program so not sure what you were seeing concerning an update.

If you reinstall the program from scratch then all the updates for that program need to be installed as well. Before you can open up the 2018 tax file the program must be updated and if you had a state return in that tax file the state programming also needs to be installed and updated. To do this you need to start a fake return and enter in just enough information so that the state program can be installed.  Once the federal and state are installed and updated you can then open up the tax file you desire.

Once you have the return open make sure to save the return as a PDF file so you can open the return anytime you wish using a PDF reader even if you don't have the program installed any longer.

I think you miss the point.  I started with the 2018 version.  On opening of it, TurboTax forced an update to the 2020 version and thus the problem.  Reinstalling from disk only gets me back to the same  auto-update point.

@BobZahm789 wrote:

I think you miss the point.  I started with the 2018 version.  On opening of it, TurboTax forced an update to the 2020 version and thus the problem.  Reinstalling from disk only gets me back to the same  auto-update point.

Where did you get this disk?  None of the TurboTax desktop programs, CD or Download, ever require you to get a different tax year when updating the software being installed.

Contact TurboTax support and they may be able to push a 2018 installation file to your download account.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Correct ... do you even have a 2018 CD ?  

Yeah, that doesn't make sense and isn't right.  Of course you know you need the 2018 program installed.  If you do get it installed - the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

If you can't install the 2018 program, you could try the TaxPrinter service to convert a .tax file to pdf at

http://www.taxprinter.com

They might be expensive and it is probably not safe to email tax returns back and forth.  They are not related to Turbo Tax.

ConHen278

I no longer have the 2018 CD.  Is there a way to download this old TT program without a charge?

ConHen278

Texas Roger, I had the program and I believe I gave the disk to my son-in-law to use after I finished with it.  I did not use TT for 2019 and 2020 and I wonder if those programs are still somewhere on my computer?  What would you think?

How do I get a copy of my tax 2018 Federal and State? I filed my tax 2018 and it is stuck in turbotax system and I did not receive my refund. I can be reached at 317- 809-4411 Derrick Polk 

@dmoney123123 wrote:

How do I get a copy of my tax 2018 Federal and State? I filed my tax 2018 and it is stuck in turbotax system and I did not receive my refund. I can be reached at [remove} Derrick Polk 

This is a public forum.  Please remove your phone number for the post as anyone can call you pretending to be from TurboTax.  Click on the three dots in the upper right of the post and click on Edit.

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies