Phone support is not provided with the Free Edition. If you are using a paid version of the software or if you purchased PLUS you can get phone support when customer support is there. Otherwise, post your question here and someone will try to help.
To call TurboTax customer support
They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday - Friday
I have the same question but haven't been able to get any help. I started at 10 a.m. and it is now 5:11. I am very frustrated as I have been given 2 different numbers but they NEVER let you actually get to a tech support person. just send me back to writing it online. have filed 3 times and have 3 support ID numbers and just get the phone number and start all over again.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIGURE OUT HOW TO ACTUALLY GET THROUGH TO A HUMAN BEING. thanks! Beth
1. I filed an extension and then completed turbotax filing on 10/13/2019. I received a confirmation and was charged for the deluxe or whatever (64.99 for efiling my federal return and printing out my state form (so I could mail that as my state does not allow efiles after April)
2. I just found out today from my state tax department that they can't process my taxes without my federal tax forms. I HAD sent, so was confused until I found out that turbotax did NOT efile my federal taxes last Oct. (Yeah, my own stupidity but I had a federal check deposited into my account at about the right time and assumed it was my tax rebate and had been amended by IRS to make it different.)
3. So, I just printed out my returns to send to Fed and back to State, and found my 1098s and 1099s to include when I found I had left off a 1099!
4. So I have to change my 2018 taxes but it won't let me go back in and make changes as though it were not filed - even though it HASN'T been.
5. So I try to download the amendment software and my 2018 tax file but it is missing something in the exe amend file and I can't get any help with that. Plus you can't amend a return that has not been filed. But I can't change it. I can do it all manually, but I paid for this service and want some help.
6. I have spent 7 1/2 hours on this today and I believe NO HUMAN BEINGS ACTUALLY WORK AT INTUIT. Can someone anywhere help me???? I think tech support could let me get back into the 2018 file since it really was never filed, and make the changes to it to finish it up. Of course, this could result in a change to my state taxes although it shouldn't affect the amount I owe.
Did you use the Online version? If your return never got filed you do not amend. You need the full Desktop program. I assume you were able to download the .tax2018 file?
How to finish a prior year online return
thanks, but why should I have to pay for the desktop version when I already paid to use the online version last year and was charged but TurboTax did not efile it? And since they didn't file it, it should be incomplete and I should be able to make changes and finish it, print it, and send in late for what I paid already.
I would purchase the desktop version if I would at least get a credit for what I paid...
If you paid for the online version you will get credit for it. But you have to go through customer support to do that.
Online preparation and e-filing for 2018 is permanently closed. You have to download 2018 software to a full PC or Mac (not to a mobile device) and then print, sign and mail your return. If you already paid for your TurboTax software, you can contact customer support to push a download of the software to you.
To call TurboTax customer support
They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time. ----beginning Jan 6.
To finish a prior year return started in TT online:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb
When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.
thank you! I have become very frustrated trying to get through to an actual employee to talk about how to get credit for what I paid towards the desktop software download. I will try Jan 6 to see if your link was any help. the phone numbers I have used have not resulted in being able to get my answers or talk to a human.
I had the same exact issue. I paid for their help on taxes but i cant even speak to them for help! F*ck off with that bullsh*t. The first call I actually landed a waiting spot to speak with a representative but the call ended right when i picked up! Couldn't get anyone after that. screw these companies customer service