If you started your 2017, 2018, or 2019 return in TurboTax Online but weren't able to file it before the shutdown, you can finish and paper-file it in the TurboTax download software for PC or Mac.
Start by purchasing and downloading the software and install it on your computer. If you're also filing a state, be sure to download and install the corresponding state program (PC instructions | Mac instructions).
- Now sign in at TurboTax.com using the same login you used to prepare your prior-year return.
- If you don't remember it, try account recovery. Still no luck? Then just start over in the TurboTax software you downloaded and skip the rest of these instructions.
- Under Your tax returns & documents, select Download .tax file (not the PDF) for the prior year you want and save it to your computer.
- Back in the CD/download software, select Find a Tax File, and then browse to the tax data file you downloaded in the previous step.
- Select the file and click Open.
- You can now finish up in the software. Your return will need to be paper-filed, as e-filing prior years is no longer available.