turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-File return getting rejected

Hi all.  I submitted my 2021 return and it was rejected by the IRS within 30 minutes.  The error indicated that my spouse's identity could not be verified because her AGI is incorrect (we file jointly).  I checked the Turbo Tax entry and the AGI was correctly transferred from my 2020 return.  I went to the IRS site and requested a transcript to verify the 2020 AGI.  It is the same as my original filing.  So, I manually re-entered the AGI amount for my 2021 return and filed it again.  The IRS rejected it again, within 30 minutes, for exactly the same reason.  Some of the solutions presented don't seem to cover this situation.  Is there another way to determine what the IRS database actually has for a spouse AGI?  Is there a way to determine what AGI value was actually transmitted to the IRS? I was going to try again with a value of 0, but not sure about it.  All the transcripts I requested from the IRS show correct and consistent AGI (basically what would be on line 11).  I suppose a strategy of waiting for another month to file to allow more updates to the software might be in order.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Try using zero.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

73 Replies

Try using zero.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I thought about that, but not sure how many times I can e-file before the IRS totally rejects my return.

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

@rgoodleaf

You can re-submit your e-filed return as many times as necessary until the filing deadline in October.

However, we recommend that after three unsuccessful attempts (with the same e-file error), you print, sign, and mail your return. Some e-file issues cannot be resolved except by the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I followed a suggestion to try zero as the AGI.  That worked, the IRS accepted my E-file.  Apparently, last year, Turbo Tax entered my wife's AGI as zero when it should have been non-zero.  I'm now a happy camper!!  I've been e-filing for years and would hate to go back to mail-in.

Thanks for the suggestion!  It worked!  I was unsure about trying for a third time, but my filing was accepted.

The exact same thing has happened to me for e filing. I used the correct AGI and have been rejected each time for the incorrect AGI for my wife. I can only blame the program that the federal government is using. Look who is running the country and the mess we are in. I am not mailing this in unless Turbo Tax wants to pay for the mailing and copying cost for this return. I paid for the intuit turbo tax Home and Business and it work great up until I had to file. I have never had a problem until this year. What can you do to resolve this issue? s

@louisianaDJB wrote:

The exact same thing has happened to me for e filing. I used the correct AGI and have been rejected each time for the incorrect AGI for my wife. I can only blame the program that the federal government is using. Look who is running the country and the mess we are in. I am not mailing this in unless Turbo Tax wants to pay for the mailing and copying cost for this return. I paid for the intuit turbo tax Home and Business and it work great up until I had to file. I have never had a problem until this year. What can you do to resolve this issue? s

The IRS may not have your 2020 AGI in their database.

Try entering a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI and e-file the 2021 tax return again.

The exact issue is occurring to me as well.  The tutorial video on finding your AGI does not help.  The joint AGI is correct, my wife's PIN is correct.  TT software filled those in.  I don't know what the return header from TT reads. 

Two Rejects so far.  I'm concerned that this will occur every year going forward. 

The message reads 

IND-032-04

SpousePriorYearPIN or

SpousePriorYearAGIAmt in the Return Header

must match the e-File database

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Have you tried using 0 for her AGI as recommended in this thread?   Last year's return may not be updated yet in the IRS database.     @Kingsuji

You only have to verify with ONE piece of information, either:

• Last year's AGI OR
  • Last year's self-select pin number (the 5 digit number you created when you filed last year)

If using just zero or just last year's Self Select 5 digit pin doesn't work, choose your situation below 

I filed my 2020 taxes with TurboTax

I didn't file my 2020 taxes with TurboTax and/or I don't have my 2020 return

I didn’t file a 2020 federal tax return (or I haven't filed one yet)

I filed my 2020 tax return, but I’m still waiting for it to be processed

I still can't find my AGI

Learn about being married filing separately in 2020, but filing jointly in 2021.

Learn about being married filing jointly in 2020, but filing separately in 2021.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Community for the work-around on the rejected e-File citing an incorrect spousal AGI or PIN.  I did enter "0" in the AGI box and our joint return was accepted after four rejections.  

I'm disappointed that no one at TurboTax thought enough of us to mention the problem and the solution.  

I had my e-file rejected yesterday.  The AGI from 2020 was correct.  Turbotax representative suggested that I use zero, and that solved the problem.  The problem may be caused not by Turbotax entering your wife's AGI as zero, but something more mundane.  It is possible that given the delay in the filing deadline last year, due to COVID, and reduced processing employees (also due to COVID), tax returns filed by mail (such as my 2020 return), and possibly tax returns that are e-filed, are simply not getting processed quickly.  If someone's return has yet to be processed, the AGI would show up as zero.  That is what happened to me.

jdhenrichs
Returning Member

I have encountered this exact same problem with the exact same error:  IND-032-04, with our Federal e-File being rejected 3 times yesterday (03/14/2022).  Tried to get customer support but they said the only way that they could help me was to screen share to my Desktop computer.  Really??  I am highly security conscious and do not under any circumstance allow remote access to my computer from anyone.  They, TT customer support, do not even seem capable of identifying the problem based on the error code IND-032-04.

So, if I can use last year's (2020) PIN to verify my wife's identity, please explain exactly how to do that.  The only option that is presented to me by Turbo Tax Deluxe is to enter my wife's prior year AGI.  Thanks

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2020 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2020 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

I got an email apparently in response to my post.  If this reaches you, I would bet that the problem is not with your wife's pin from 2020, but rather that the IRS has not completed processing your returns from 2020.  As I did, enter any pin you want (5 numeric digits), and enter 0 for the AGI.  Should work.  If not, print the return and mail it.  But 0 worked for me, and should work for you.  BTW:  I let Turbotax remotely access my computer with no problems.  I guess, however, that just because someone is paranoid, it doesn't mean nobody is not out to get them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies