Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

E-File return getting rejected

What is the rejection code you are receiving? This can make the difference in how to fix the return.  @AmberE

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Nope, tried every single suggestion mentioned on this site; efiled 22 times, rejected 22 times.  Snail mailed in last Saturday.  I thought about buying another software since this is a TT problem, but was just exhausted by that point. We were in same boat as you, did the goat rope to get into IRS transcript and AGI was exactly what we were using.

I can't believe TurboTax just won't confess to their error. When you get ready to e-File a humongous box should pop up telling you that "You X % of being able to processor Return due to errors in our Product" 

I SO AGREE!  It's obvious there is a serious problem and many of the folks posting here have Employee Turbo Tax on their ID so you know TT knows about the issue.

jdhenrichs
Returning Member

Sorry, but I believe you are only partially correct.  I read somewhere, maybe on the IRS site, that IRS has discontinued identity verification based on the prior year's PIN.

jdhenrichs
Returning Member

I know we are all blaming Turbo Tax for this problem but I am becoming suspicious, based on the error description (see below), that the problem really exists within the IRS e-file verification database, note this comment in the error description.  We had exactly this same problem with being rejected based on spouse's prior year A G I.  Finally put in zero only for spouse A G I and e-filed return was then accepted. So, it would seem that the mysterious e-File database contains correct A G I for me and nothing for my spouse.

IND-032-04

Spouse Prior Year PIN or

Spouse Prior Year A G I Amt in the Return Header

must match the e-File database

If you are correct then a new pin should have shown on your turbo tax. Mine showed in blue almost blinking at me. I didn’t even look to see what the number was. I’ll check my file and see if it’s changed.

thank you:-)

I put this in another thread, but I will put it here as well.  When I had problems with e-file, I not only changed the AGI to zero, but I also changed the prior year pin that TurboTax inserted in the field.  Try zero and a new 5 digit pin (it doesn't matter what it is, just 5 digits different than what TurboTax put in).  See if that works.

woodpersonnelwixom
Returning Member

Entering 0 for my AGI worked.

I found this article which backs up others who suggested the same thing.

One reason your e-file tax return was rejected - The Washington Post

IRS E-file was rejected twice saying IRS couldn't identify my because the AGI wasn't a match to what the IRS has in their database. I took the number off of the previously filed 2020 return as well as an IRS transcript ( The same number) .  I also checked to see if my return had been filed for 2021 in case someone had tried to file. They show no other return filed for 2021. Is there any other reason why it would be rejected?

@sueweber312 wrote:

IRS E-file was rejected twice saying IRS couldn't identify my because the AGI wasn't a match to what the IRS has in their database. I took the number off of the previously filed 2020 return as well as an IRS transcript ( The same number) .  I also checked to see if my return had been filed for 2021 in case someone had tried to file. They show no other return filed for 2021. Is there any other reason why it would be rejected?

There is a possibility that the IRS does not have the 2020 AGI for your Social Security number in their database.

Try entering a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI and e-file the 2021 return again.

jack118

Even after verifying the information on my return, the irs continues to reject my returns.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you getting a specific error when e-filing? @jack118 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mwminter

I got the same error message last week so I tried again today with a clean set of input and got the same error message.  I switched to Forms view and found one for "Schedule C (unnamed)" which is for a Business Owner.  I have never owned or run any business so I have no idea why that form was in my return other than it may have carried over from a previous year's data.  I may have tried to claim some of my home as office space once in the past.  (The Standard Deduction was better for me so no need to keep un-needed forms TT.)

The form was not easy to delete, but I finally managed to delete it. (The menu option to delete did not work, only the Delete button in the form view.)  After that, I was able to e-file with no issues.

Another reason may just be "luck" as it is January 29, 2024 and perhaps the e-file servers just got updated to start accepting Federal returns!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies