Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Activation Code

I turned on my USB-connected Canon printer to print out a Quicken Tax Summary and TT started asking me for an activation code.   I've been using TT all day doing different returns and jumping between different returns; I'll bet I've opened and closed TT thirty times today alone, with no problems.  Then, all of a sudden, it starts asking for my activation code.  Panic....., did some research online and low and behold......

Turned the printer off and got in to TTax again with no problems.......

TT appears to be using the age-old method of hardware footprint in determining how many computers you load the software on (a method Microsoft quit using decades ago).  When you first install the software, TT takes a 'picture' of your connected hardware.  Any deviation from that setup, TT assumes it is a different computer.  If, after successfully getting in and working in TT you suddenly start being asked for the activation code again, look at your hardware!!!  What printers or thumb drives or external hard drives, etc.; ANY USB DEVICES; were plugged in / turned on / not plugged in, etc. when you loaded the TT software the first time.  Get your pc back to that original configuration and you should have no trouble getting back into the software.

WHY TT TECH SUPPORT DOESN'T STILL OFFICIALLY MENTION THIS FIX WHEN SO MANY OF US HAVE DISCOVERED IT (see other threads along this same subject line) IS BEYOND ME!  IT IS SO SIMPLE, YET FOLKS LIKE @EbonyA , SUPPOSED EXPERTS, STILL DIRECT PEOPLE TO THE COMPLICATED, AND MOST LIKELY WRONG, SOLUTION VIA THAT LINK. 

KISS PRINCIPLE; Keep It Simple Stupid.....

Start simple and work from there.

BTW, use the @ feature to target/include folks in your reply; give credit where credit is due and if you need to ask a specific person a question, that is the way to get their attention.  Again, type the "@" symbol in your reply and a list of commenters will pop up.  Type or highlight their screen name, with no space after the "@" sign, and you can target your comment to them.

Activation Code

I installed Turbo tax months ago and entered the Activation Code. I never needed it again until asked for it today when I tried to open program. Have no idea what it is. Dead line approaching HELP!

joela44

Activation Code

FYI,I DID read the thread so I suggest that you read my post! It clearly says that I need the INITIAL coffee as I had not previously installed it!

Huntli

Activation Code

I cannot find the box that has the activation code and it will not let me in even though I have entered it before!

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Activation Code

Since the activation code has been entered before, then there is a connection issue. 

For several options on how to resolve this, see: TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license activation at every launch.

@jgraves35a

@joela44

@Huntli

mvan48309

Activation Code

hello

I threw the box away after I loaded turbotax on my computer. I need the activation code please

Activation Code

How do I activate my 2019 turbo tax without my activation code?  I am trying to look up the 2019 tax that I have done.

thezzzia

Activation Code

I am unable to input my activation code

pen49gil

Activation Code

I am being ask to activate my 2019 TurboTax Deluxe and I don't have it. I've used this program before when I filed my 2029 tax return. How can I get this code or start using 2019 TurboTax again without the code?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Activation Code

I am attaching a TurboTax Help article for your information.  Click here:  

activation code

Or you can create an online account if you do not have one and file online. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pcejirika

Activation Code

I need the activation code for Deluxe Turbotax for 2019 Tax Year. The message the system gives is that all of the activation codes have been used.

Activation Code

We are just other users.  You have to call in and ask 

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Activation Code

The suggestions made by Intuit/Turbotax don't work. I've had this problem with both my 2019 and 2020 TurboTax Premier, both of which I purchased from Costco. Costco is a licensed reseller. After I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with a support person last year dealing with this with TurboTax Premier 2019, they finally gave me a new install and new key. Looks like I'm going to have to waste more of my time again this year getting the same for 2020. You'd think after they had this problem with 2019 they'd have fixed it for the following year, but the same problem still exists. Very annoying and a huge time waster for consumers. 

Activation Code

Regarding the response from @stevekayak about making sure when we open Turbotax that we have all the hardware plugged in exactly was it was when we installed Turbotax -thank you for that information. It would be great if I actually knew what I had plugged in when I installed Turbotax. I have a USB hub with a bunch of ports on it and I often have a different combination of thumb drives, card readers and external hard drives plugged in. There is absolutely no way I will be able to figure out how to create the exact same scenario as when I installed Turbotax. Guess I'll try unplugging everything except my keyboard and mouse and enter the key again and hope that works going forward. 

Activation Code

@ lbbirds wrote:

Well that would be great if I actually knew what I had plugged in when I installed Turbotax. I have a USB hub with a bunch of ports on it and I often have a different combination of thumb drives, card readers and external hard drives plugged in. There is absolutely no way I will be able to figure out how to create the exact same scenario as when I installed Turbotax. 

If it's saying all of your license activations have been used, then phone and explain your situation to TurboTax Support and ask for a new license code.  After activated, make a note of your USB configuration and keep it on file with your license number.   If you use SD cards, that can also sometimes cause the issue.

Hours are currently 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies