Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jbender6493
Returning Member

2020 Turbo Tax won't open

I have downloaded it several times and when I click on the Turbo Tax Emblin. A whites square appears on the screen with the words at the top left as follows "Turbo Tax 2020-Activation".  Otherwise, the page is blank.  The white square is about 3/4 the size of the screen.

@jbender6493 wrote:

I have downloaded it several times and when I click on the Turbo Tax Emblin. A whites square appears on the screen with the words at the top left as follows "Turbo Tax 2020-Activation".  Otherwise, the page is blank.  The white square is about 3/4 the size of the screen.

Are you using Windows?

If so, a blank activation screen may be related to either a screen resolution or scaling problem in your Windows settings.

In Windows 10 to get to the scaling or resolution settings click the Windows start button in lower left corner, then choose Settings (gear icon), then System, then Display.

First try the scaling setting.  In your Windows Settings do you have scaling set to a higher value than the normal 100%?  If so, change it back to 100%. Once the license code is entered and activated, you can later change your scaling setting back like it was.

If lowering the scaling to 100% didn't help, then it may be screen resolution.  Try a lower screen resolution such as 800x600.  Once you get the license activated, you can revert your resolution setting back like it was.

NOTE:  If you happen to encounter a blank popup screen later on in some section of the program, you may have to temporarily perform this maneuver again.

Peter4232
Returning Member

Same here. TurboTax Deluxe, Mojave 10.14.6

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@Peter4232 See this link here for assistance with troubleshooting. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
thaocpa80
Returning Member

I have the same issue with Turbotax 2020 with my mac computer. It was working fine last week.  

theresa02

It says to re install my disc but i lost it.  It says it has a corrupt file

theresa02

my turbo tax say to re install but i don't have the disc any more. it says it has a corrupt file

@theresa02 wrote:

my turbo tax say to re install but i don't have the disc any more. it says it has a corrupt file

If it's 2020 or 2019 tax year, do you still have the software license code?   If so, you can use the license code to get a download, which is a better way to install.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

If you are a TurboTax Advantage member (annual subscription), there should already be a download in your online TurboTax Advantage account.

Otherwise, here's how to phone TurboTax Customer Support for assistance in getting a download:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

wayneg10

Can not open deluxe 2020

@ wayneg10  wrote:

Can not open deluxe 2020

Please describe what/where the roadblock is.   I assume you are referring to the Deluxe desktop software (CD/download).    Is it the version for Windows or Mac?

Is this a new issue?   Have you opened it OK previously?   Or did it just suddenly quit opening?

Or did you just install it and can't launch it for the first time?   If you just installed it, did you enter the license code and activate it OK, or were you not even able to get that far yet?

Is there any error message?

Are you using a Mac by any chance?

If so, and if you just installed it, did you install this way?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-install-the-turbotax-software-for-mac/00/...

After the virtual drive launched, did you drag the TurboTax icon to the Applications folder inside the popup window?  You do NOT drag it to the main Applications folder on the computer--only to the Applications folder inside the popup.

It opened originally. Then would not open. It was frustrating. It was a download to a MAC. I talked to help line. I’m totally done with it.  

@ jharrison7 wrote:

It opened originally. Then would not open. It was frustrating. It was a download to a MAC. I talked to help line. I’m totally done with it.  

You appear to be a different person from "wayneg10" whom I responded to above.   This can get confusing with multiple people posting.

I don't use a Mac, but I'll see if @ macuser_22  can assist any.

Several things to try in this order.

Restart the Mac.

Be sure that System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers is checked.

Go to the Applications folder and select the TurboTax application in the Finder and right click with the mouse (or control click) ans select the top "open". That should force the first open. After that it should open normally.

Be sure the user account in an administrator.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899267-administrator-rights-mac

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2020 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@jharrison7 

I think I experienced the same issue you are having. I installed turbo tax from a download, it worked initially but I didn’t have everything I needed and saved my return to work on later. About 2 weeks later when trying to open turbo tax it would crash on startup and close itself out.

I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling it, the first time it worked for a couple days then it happened again and the second time it would not work again. I tried reinstalling, I called the help line(they made me try uninstalling a 5th time) I ended up spending over 8 hours with a few different support agents, was told I was being sent to a level two support, which apparently doesn’t exist I was just sent to another agent that wanted to try all the same things again. Finally they sent me to the resolutions department for a refund, and that person unlike the 3 supposed support reps said there was a known issue on Mac OS, after some persuasion they finally offered a refund. So somehow it’s a known issue for the department that handles refunds but not the support department. As far as I know it has not been resolved, it doesn’t happen to everyone but it does happen. They really wanted me to use the online version instead of the download but I refused and finally got the refund.  the “support” people on here still seem clueless as to this issue and just give the generic advice of trying to reinstall it.

what I later did was create a new profile for Mac OS and was able to run the program on that user profile, it was a little annoying but it was an effective work around for me.

@bsbaker85 wrote:

@jharrison7 

what I later did was create a new profile for Mac OS and was able to run the program on that user profile, it was a little annoying but it was an effective work around for me.

If it works with a different user account then that is proof that the software works but  there is some sort of problem with the other user account.     To troubleshoot the user account you need Apple support.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies