Remove (Uninstall) TurboTax for Mac
To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights. Then, follow these instructions:
Note: Instances of XX in the following instructions refer the 2-digit tax year.
- Remove the application TurboTax [version] 20XX in the Applications folder. (Version refers to the version of TurboTax you currently have installed i.e. Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home and Business.)
- In the Finder, select Go > Go To Folder.
- Enter ~/Library and click Go.
- Remove the following files and folders:
- ~/Library/Application Support/TurboTax 20XX
- ~/Library/Caches/TurboTax 20XX
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.savedstate
- ~/Library/Containers/com.intuit.turbotax.mac2013 (This folder will only appear if you installed from the Mac App Store instead of a CD or download.)
- ~/Library/Application/ Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.sfl. This folder will only appear for OS X 10.11 (El Capitan only).
Note: ~/Library represents the Library folder in the current user’s home folder.
- Empty the Trash. (Be sure there's nothing in the Trash you want. If you get any errors deleting the above folders out of the trash, restart your Mac and empty the Trash again.)
- Install TurboTax again from the Installation disk or download file to the Applications folder. Eject your installation disk.
- Start TurboTax from the Applications folder and let it run the updates.
- Empty the Trash again.
- To really make sure everything is working smoothly, you may want to restart your Mac one last time.