Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Still getting Error - Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet

Hey Keith,

Did you use their downloadable software or their online version?

If downloadable, were you able to get trial versions or did you just buy them?

Lastly which version?

Thanks

Sure here is the information.

1. TaxAct - Downloadable - Premier Edition
  2. HRB - Downloadable - Premium

I got a discount code from my company, and used those to just pay and buy it and then try it.

Tired of TurboTax not getting their act right. If and when they do, will be happy to check, but for now I didn't want to wait.

Thank you OK. So you are basically out of the TT loop.

Yes, please keep connected here to this thread.

I'm going to wait until next week. 

Best of luck to you and to everyone here. Hoping that TT actually resolves this soon for you all and you get your money's worth.

Shout out to TT. Do something.

@normal-TX-guy  No, I was not able to file, it still ran a check when I tried to file and gave me the same error message.  To clarify, I manually edited the Schedule A Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet as they were not correct.  By doing that, it now shows the correct info on the Schedule A Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet.  So all my mortgage interest is correct on these forms, but I still can't file.

@dekem how long do you think you'll wait? End of next week?

We really need a resolution and acknowledgement from TT.

Just FYI, I tried to get a solution since February 17th. I spent an hour on the phone with a very nice but entirely clueless CS rep who had no idea the problem was even being looked at. Then I researched and found this exact same problem existed last year.

Now, see, I'm a CMO by day. That's my job. Marketing means a lot to me. But in a HOUSING BOOM, how could TurboTax let a bug exist for over a year that had to do with mortgages? It's actually one of the weirdest things, and it tells me everything I need to know about how much TT cares about its customers and user perception.

They didn't have to do anything special, either. All they had to do was simply give us a real ETA and spend last year fixing this bug so it didn't hit this year. They didn't. They decided somewhere in the profit and loss pipeline that we didn't matter, and their quick fix solution of combining them was "good enough."

It's not, though. When I filed with a competitor last night, I owed $2k more in taxes than TT said. So I actually went through doing it at ANOTHER competitor to check, then went and did it manually. Sure enough, TT did not calculate my $750k limit properly due to the double mortgage bug even when I followed their advice. They are asking users to fix things manually because their system literally cannot do it, and it leads to all kinds of problems. What if you get audited, will their audit protection cover you? Will they stand behind you if your filing is incorrect due to their software?

Well, good luck getting them to even reply. I'm done with TT, and I'm washing my hands of this. But seriously, good marketing starts with customer service. When you lose to your competitors in five or ten years (it takes time, I'm not naive enough to think today's loss of maybe a few thousand customers is going to even remotely impact you), it's because of likely dozens of little things like this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also waiting for this issue to be resolved so I can file. Hopefully users keep replying to this thread so Intuit will finally dedicate the resources needed to fix this

@Max_Tax_Guy  I am going to give it until the end of the month and if no resolution (or firm date for resolution) consider alternatives.  I really don't want to process my returns through another system as TT does carry a lot of info over from previous returns that will take a while to redo. Plus learning a new system doesn't sound exciting.  The CS rep I spoke with said she sees an open ticket for this issue, so for now I remain hopeful TT resolves it.

Hxc
Level 1

Just got off the phone with TT support (58 minutes, three different support staff). Long story short: they recommend waiting until March 1st.

One support rep didn't seem aware of the issue, and after a while also sent me a link to the incorrect 'Solved' thread you first linked, that suggests combining both 1098s into one. I told him that was incorrect, and was eventually passed onto someone from the Tax department.

From Tax, I spoke with Shervetta, who said this seems like the state forms are not done yet (either because the states haven't finalized them or TT haven't finished processing). She said usually these are done by March 1st, so we should check back then. She suggested that in her opinion, there's no way these forms won't be fixed, it's just a matter of waiting a little more. If not, call them back. If you pay for TT Live (I don't) you can ask to speak with a CPA to get more detailed advice.

I strongly urged them to escalate this, have some experts chime in on this thread and stop wasting everyone's time who hits this issue, but I don't believe anything will change (and here we all are!).

When a big company repeatedly lies to me, wasting my time and damaging my family, the gloves come off.  A company like that has not earned my respect and no longer deserves business respect.  I know this may not be “politically correct”, and that’s OK, I’m not trying to be “nice”.  Here we go:  How about TurboTax works quickly to correct their software defect?  Seems that is one of the main reasons (the only reason) TurboTax is in business; to create software to serve customer needs.  Now there’s an idea!  Let’s call it a new concept: “Proper Business Management”.  Did Intuit learn that in MBA school?  Oh!  Warton and Harvard missed that business concept?  Too complicated?  Can’t understand the math?  So sorry.  Maybe Intuit should check with a staff Software Engineer.  Engineers are taught to answer the question; “Does it work?  (Yes / No).  If No, fix it.  If Yes, don’t fix it”.  Sad that fancy-pants MBA’s in the Intuit C-Suite haven’t figured out how to effectively run a business.  Many of us know MBA’s are a bit retarded, as compared to a run-of-the-mill Engineer, when it comes to actually running a successful business.  And this isn’t something difficult, like rocket science, it’s not nuclear energy, it's not building the Golden Gate Bridge.  It's software!  It's making an electronic copy of an IRS form!  Pretty simple.  Maybe the right solution is for Intuit Execs to make an executive decision to fire themselves for incompetence.  Hey!  There's an effective solution!

@Hxc thanks for the update.

Just one caveat, if you see the screenshot of the error. This is not just a State Form issue. This worksheet placed the data into schedule A, and that is also at Federal level. People who don't have any State Taxes, are also seeing the same error.

Another user commented that the exact error has been there from past year taxes too, and they never fixed it. So the error where it says "We expect this form to be available after February 17th" could be that this message has been there for years without the actual YEAR in the date so that Feb 17th could also have been for last year? like "February 17th 2021"... That would not be good.

TT?

@dekem thank you.

I'm going to wait until Feb 28th. If they don't have a fix by then and provide clarity, I will be applying for credit under their 60 day money back guarantee AND then switch over to one of the other Tax providers.

I have same error and am waiting. Talked to others who have multiple 1098’s or are above the $750k limit. They filed with other providers and did not have any issue. So this seems to be specific to TT. Hope there’s fix soon. Standing by. 

I talked to a a rep today. She could not tell me when the worksheet would be available and had no way to get further info. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies