turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recovery Rebate Credit - Error on 1040 Instructions???

I received my $1200 stimulus back around April/May, but did not receive the more recent $600.  According to info on the IRS website, it seems that based on the notation on my account, I will not be receiving it, however, based on what I've read, I should qualify.  So, I'm looking at line 30 of the 2020 form 1040 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  On the 1040 instructions is a worksheet for this line.  Line 2 of this worksheet is a "yes" or "no" question asking if you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) are including a valid SSN on your 2020 return.  I am single and including a valid SSN, so I answer "yes."  Based on that answer, I am told to skip lines 3 and 4.  Later, on line 8, it is asking about whether you received your "EIP 2" payment, which again, I did not.  However, in order to enter $600 on that line, it says you need to have answered "yes" to question 4 on the worksheet.  As detailed above, I was asked to skip line 4.  Going back to review what line 4 said, it was asking if "one of you" (yourself or your spouse) has a valid SSN.  So, as stated, I'm filing as single with a valid SSN, which results in my skipping line 4.  Is it correct that this credit applies only to those filing jointly, not members of the military (detailed on line 3), and where only one member of the married couple has a SSN on the tax form?  That doesn't seem to make sense.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@bovine19440 

I went back over this worksheet again and believe this is how Line 8 should read -

If your EIP 2 was $600 ($1,200 if married filing jointly) plus $600 for each qualifying child you had in 2020, skip lines 8 and 9, enter zero on lines 10 and 19, and go to line 11. Otherwise, enter:
• $600 if single, head of household, married filing separately, qualifying widow(er) and you answered “Yes” to question 2 or 3 or if married filing jointly and you answered “Yes” to question 4 or
• $1,200 if married filing jointly and you answered “Yes” to question 2 or 3

View solution in original post

14 Replies

You did answer Yes on Line 2.  So that on Line 8 you enter $600.  Line 10 is $600.  Line 18 is $600.  Line 20 is $600 and Line 21 is $600.

It would be easier to use the TurboTax program page for stimulus in the Federal Review which will do all of these calculations for you and will enter $600 on the Form 1040 Line 30.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  My concern is that the instructions on line 8 do not reference having answered "yes" to line 2 (which I did), but rather to line 4 (which I was asked to skip).  This is the section of line 8 I'm referring to:

"$600 if single, head of household, married filing separately, qualifying widow(er), or if married filing jointly and you answered “Yes” to question 4"

@bovine19440 Ahhh Yes...That would make no sense.  The IRS appears to have an issue with the wording.  It should not have you answered “Yes” to question 4.  It should read you answered “Yes” to question 2 or 3.  Just like the married filing jointly section.

My assumption is that the wording in the worksheet, even though incorrect, is not how the credit is being calculated.  It is being calculated based on how it should read, not how it is currently worded.

@bovine19440 

I went back over this worksheet again and believe this is how Line 8 should read -

If your EIP 2 was $600 ($1,200 if married filing jointly) plus $600 for each qualifying child you had in 2020, skip lines 8 and 9, enter zero on lines 10 and 19, and go to line 11. Otherwise, enter:
• $600 if single, head of household, married filing separately, qualifying widow(er) and you answered “Yes” to question 2 or 3 or if married filing jointly and you answered “Yes” to question 4 or
• $1,200 if married filing jointly and you answered “Yes” to question 2 or 3

dad6266
Returning Member

Need help doing recovery rebate 1040 never received 2nd stimulus payment I receive only ssi

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

File a tax return with the new Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet. This will allow you to reconcile your stimulus payments and receive any additional payment (refund).

IRS Recovery Rebate Credit

In TurboTax Online once your return is open, select Wages & Income (to enter the tax return).

Select Federal Review at the top of the page > Continue to answer the questions for Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount

TurboTax will then include any stimulus amount due on your 1040 form - either added to their refund or it will reduce the amount due.

There is nothing else to put on your return except your personal information.

For more information click the link: Economic Impact Payments for for SS and SSI Recipients

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I got my 600 stimulus but submitted my taxes saying it hadn't come.  What to do already send the taxes in. Also you charged me 89 for deluxe turbo tax but my friend had same paperwork and got his submitted for free!

Susan ROdbell

[email address removed]

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can change your answer but you will need to wait until your electronic file has been accepted by IRS and amend your return. This year, IRS is not accepting electronically filed returns until 02/12. Please view these instructions to amend your 2020 return. 

One more note, when you amend your return, you can edit your stimulus information by doing this.

1. Log into turbo tax
  2. Click on Federal Review then Continue
  3. Click on yes and edit the information you received for your stimulus payment

Could you please clarify what should I do if I have a desktop version?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Entering stimulus information in desktop is the same as online. Just answer the three questions in step-by-step. To get there, click on the Federal Taxes tab, then Federal Review.

1. Did you get a stimulus payment?
  2. Enter your total first-round stimulus payment
  3. Enter your total second-round stimulus payment

TurboTax will correctly compute the worksheet.

With CD\Desktop you can switch to the Forms mode by clicking Forms in the upper left and look at your information on the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet.

triciajf

my problemis the Turbo Tax program says amounts due based on 2018 tax fiing, but early 2019 my granddaughter came to live with me and if I show I got the 1200 2x there is no place to get the worksheet or account for my dependent.  what do i do?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Dependents for the Recovery Rebate Credit are included for the credit calculation based on their qualifying for the child tax credit as a dependent on your tax return. They will automatically count for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  The total amount of Recovery Rebate Credit is based on the information in the 2020 tax return only. 

You will enter their information in the "Personal Info" section where you will "Add a dependent" and complete the interview questions to determine dependent eligibility.  

You can access the stimulus questions by clicking the "Federal Review" tab in TurboTax or by typing "Stimulus" in the search box and using the "Jump to...link".  

If you are claiming a qualifying dependent child age 16 or under on your 2020 tax return you will be eligible for the following amounts of credit.

Round one:  $1200 (2400 if filed jointly) plus $500 for each qualifying dependent child age 16 or under

Round two:  $600 (1200 if filed jointly) plus $600 for each qualifying dependent child age 16 or under

This total eligibility amount for the Recovery Rebate Credit will be reduced by any stimulus payments actually received in rounds one and/or two. 

Here is a link to more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit eligibility and calculations.

Gina_TX

I say yes. I depended on TurboTax to walk me through filing my taxes correctly including entering the Recovery Rebate credit if applicable. I answered the questions as prompted during the entry  process. Now I owe the IRS $2,900 because the TurboTax software plugged in the credit where it should have actually been zero. The TT tax advisors I spoke with said it was an entry error on my end as the filer but if other customers are running into similar issues, then there was or is something wrong with TT's software (or at the very least, their instructions are unclear and cause confusion.) I've been using TT for the last decade but never again.

Completely agree. Just was told IRS corrected mine and I followed Turbo Taxes instructions as they were written as well. Clearly a lot of people ended up with issues with how it was done in their software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies