turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

laceytx94

My child tax credit is not showing up in my refund amount

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Make sure you entered your Dependent(s) correctly in the My Info section.

Type 'child tax credit' in the Search area, then 'Jump to child tax credit'.

Go through the section again, checking your entries.  At the end of the section, TurboTax will tell you if you qualified or not, and also tells you why or why not. 

Click this link for detailed info about the Child Tax Credit and how to qualify. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you earn enough to receive the child tax credit?  Did your child turn 17 in 2019?  Did you enter Social Security numbers for your children?

CHILD TAX CREDIT

There was lots of hype in the news about the new $2000 Child Tax Credit when the tax law changed for 2018 and beyond.    Unfortunately, some people do not yet understand that it does not mean they will automatically receive $2000 per child just for filing a tax return.

Do not assume your refund will include $2000 per child for child tax credits.  It does not work that way.  The CTC is used first to reduce your tax liability to zero. After that, there is a refundable portion —up to $1400 — called the Additional Child Tax Credit that is calculated based on the amount of income you earned.  You do not necessarily get the maximum amount.  You get 15% of the amount of income earned above $2500--UP to the maximum amount possible.

If your child turned 17 in 2019, even on the last day of 2019, you do not get the child tax credit.  There are no exceptions to the rule.  You can still claim your child as a dependent.

Your child must have a Social Security number to get the CTC. 

If your child was born in 2019 you need to say the child lived with you for the WHOLE year.

If your child lived with you for less than half the year you cannot get CTC.

If you did not earn at least $2500 you cannot receive the child tax credit.  Beyond that amount the CTC you receive is affected by your tax liability and the amount you earned.  You might not get the full $2000 of CTC.

The child tax credit is reduced by $50 for every $1000 of AGI over these limits:

Married filing jointly                $400,000    (CTC disappears at $440,000)

Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Separately or qualifying widower               $200,000  (CTC disappears at $240,000)

Look at your 2019 tax return to see the credits you received:

Child tax credit line 12a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 17b   (schedule 8812)

Credit for Other Dependents line 12a

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3029430-why-is-my-child-tax-credit-smaller-this-year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4505689-why-am-i-getting-the-credit-for-other-dependents-instead-o...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
de2000ttu
Returning Member

Hello, I barely made any money. I am single mom, daughter in 12th grade, why did I not get my $1400.00 child tax credit.

Regardless, if I owed IRS money -- that does not help me survive during cover which is why this was created. 

Please send me my July thru December child the monthly amount I have NEVER received.

And now my anticipated $1400.00 to help pay our bills -- was taken because I owed.

REDICULOUS -- very unethical.

Please let them know I am in a huge financial hardship & we need that money.

Thanks for your help.

"Do unto other as you would do unto you"

Complaining on a turbo tax public internet forum will not get you anything or anywhere.  File an income tax return to get any stimulus payments or CTC payments you are eligible for if you did not get them in advance. 

$1400 is likely the stimulus, not the Child Tax Credit.

Jayleen_18
Returning Member

My child is on my tax form when I check my documents, and TurboTax said I’m getting a refund on my child tax of 2280 but I didn’t see it in my refund but when I checked my forms my daughter is on the forms

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I suspect some of that amount is reducing your tax liability.

The child tax credit (CTC) along with the additional child tax credit (ACTC) may both be on your tax return. The ACTC is a refundable credit, while the CTC can reduce your tax to zero, but any balance is not refundable.  

Check line 28, Form 1040, to see if you have the ACTC or refundable portion listed. This may show the other portion, and you should also see Form 8812 in your tax file. 

By using the Tax Tools, you can take a quick review of your 1040: 

To find Tools:  

1. Sign into your TurboTax account and open or continue your return.  
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu.  
  3. You'll find Tools beneath Tax Tools. 
  4. Select View Tax Summary 
  5. Select Preview My 1040 (left black panel) 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jayleen_18
Returning Member

My form 8812 is blank and line 28 is blank I thought I did everything right because I do see her in my tax form and TurboTax told me I was gonna get a child tax credit of 2,280 for my child. This is the last year I file here on TurboTax I was told that they were screwing people over when it came to their refund I should have listened and went somewhere else 

@Jayleen_18

The tax laws changed for child-related credits and are much less generous for 2022.

Make sure you have entered your child as a dependent in My Info, and that you have entered the child's Social Security number.    Careful— do not say that your child’s SSN is not valid for employment.  If your child was born in 2022 make sure you said he lived with you the whole year.  There is an oddly worded question that asks if the child paid over half their own support.  Say NO to that question.

Have you entered income from working in 2022?  If not,  you will not receive an income tax refund based on having dependent children.

The rules for getting the child tax credit on a 2021 tax return and now on a 2022 return are very different.  For 2021 you could get $3600 for a child under 6 or $3000 for a child between 6 and 17 even if you had no income/did not work.   That is NOT the way it will work for your 2022 tax return.  The “old” rules are back. 

The maximum amount of the child tax credit is now $2000 per child; the refundable “additional child tax credit” amount is $1500.   In order to get that credit, you have to have income from working.  The credit is calculated based on the amount you earned above $2500 multiplied by 15%, up to the full $1500 per child. 

If your child is older than 16 at the end of 2022, you do not get the CTC.  But you may still get the non-refundable $500 credit for other dependents instead.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my-childdependent-qualify-for-the-child-tax-credit-or-the-credit-f...

Look at your 2022 Form 1040 to see the child-related credits you received

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Child Tax Credit line 19

Credit for Other Dependents line 19

Earned Income Credit line 27

Additional Child Tax Credit line 28

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jayleen_18
Returning Member

I did enter her all her info is in the tax forms even her ssn and I checked the for the only spot blank is line 28

The CTC is used first to reduce your tax bill  (unlike in 2021 where it all went on line 28) so look for the $2000 on line 19 ... did you use it all up there to reduce your taxes ?   If so there is nothing left to be refundable on line 28. 

Jayleen_18
Returning Member

Line 19 says 2000$ but I don’t know why I would reduce my taxes for this is my first time filing with a child 

Jayleen_18
Returning Member

And turbo tax told me I was going to get a child tax credit back of 2,280$

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies