Why is my Child Tax Credit smaller this year?
You notice your Child Tax Credit is smaller than last year's or you didn't even get the credit this year. Why is that? Your credit might be smaller if:
- Your child or children turned 17 in 2016. This credit is only for children under 17 and they no longer qualify for the credit. Your younger children may still qualify.
- Your income increased in 2016.
Once your income reaches the amounts below, your credit starts being reduced down to zero depending on the number of children you have:
- Married filing jointly: $110,000
- Married filing separately: $55,000
- Any other filing status: $75,000