turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax Credit: the system is not allowing me to enter amount of foreign taxes paid. It is referring me back to Wages and Salaries, but this is already complete?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Foreign Tax Credit: the system is not allowing me to enter amount of foreign taxes paid. It is referring me back to Wages and Salaries, but this is already complete?

If you are using TurboTax online edition, I would suggest you clear cache and cookies on your web browser.  Here are the steps: 

• Check your internet connection.  Try to log out and sign back in the program. 
  • Clear your cache and sign back into the program.  To clear cache, click here: Cache
  • You may also try a different browser.
  • And try again

To enter your foreign tax credit information, follow here:

• Open up your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign tax credit" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign tax credit
  • Follow prompts

@callister-m

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately clearing the cache and changing browsers (from Safari to Chrome) did not help.  the Foreign Earned Income and Exclusions section (Wages and Income) takes me all the way through Foreign Income deduction and Housing exclusion, but no place to enter foreign taxes paid (my taxes are not on a form--need to be manually entered, foreign company).  The Foreign Tax Credit section (Deductions and Credits) just refers me back to wages and salaries to enter the foreign tax paid.  I think there is a system glitch.

I have the same issue. The system is not allowing me to enter amount of foreign taxes paid. I just spent 30 mins with TurboTax support but they could not help. It seems everything is entered correctly but TurboTax is not allowing to proceed with entering foreign taxes paid. It feels like a software bug.

I suggest starting over. Here are the screen headers and responses.

To ensure a clean start, make sure any existing Form 1116’s are deleted. We show the header, then the response.

1. Foreign tax credit
      Yes
2. Before we begin
         Yes
3. Foreign taxes
         Continue
4. Tell us about your foreign taxes
            Check the applicable entry, then Continue.
5. Foreign taxes
         Continue
6. Do you want a deduction or credit?
         Take a credit
7. Reporting foreign taxes paid.
         Continue
8. No other income or expenses
         No
9. Completing forms 1116
       Continue
10. Foreign tax credit worksheet
       Continue
11. Choose the income type
     General
12. Country summary.
        Add a country.
13. Country Name
       Select the country
14. Other gross income- country
           Enter the amount even though reported elsewhere.
          Continue
15. Definitely related expenses-country
        Enter applicable data then Continue.
16. Foreign losses
        Enter applicable amount then Continue
17. Foreign taxes paid –country
          Enter the data then Continue.
18. Country summary
        Done.
Continue working through the remaining screens until finished.

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

If you are trying to take the Foreign Tax Credit,

1.  Be sure your Foreign Income is entered.

2.  Scroll down to the section under Income & Expenses that says Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and Select Edit/Add

3.  Go through the On Screen Prompts until you get to the screen that asks you "Whose Foreign Income Would you Like to Try and Exclude," choose Neither of Us (for Joint Returns) and Continue.  TurboTax will take you back to the Income & Expenses Summary Screen.

4.  Go to the Foreign Tax Credit section under Deductions & Credits.  You should now be able to enter the Foreign Taxes Paid.

If you continue to have this issue after following these steps please let us know.

@callister-m

@fsaracev

I tried these steps in the past and again now but I still can not enter foreign taxes paid. I am using TurboTax online version. Could there be a bug in the online version?

Do you have any 1099's or K-1's and if so, do they indicate any foreign income?

No, I do not have any any 1099's or K-1. I just have foreign income from Germany.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Because we cannot see your tax return and you have tried several of the suggested suggestions that worked for others, you may want to call in so a live assistant can help.  See What is the TurboTax phone number?

@fsaracev

I did talk with TurboTax live support but she was not able to help. She tried to connect me with TurboTax Live but they do not take calls unless being paid. At this point, I am not sure how to fix what seems to be TurboTax defect. I am open for suggestions.  

What screen  number that you responded to caused the interview to quit.  Did the response say nothing other than go back to wages and salary?

Not sure what you mean under screen name.

She looked at the Foreign Tax Credit section under Deductions & Credits, as well as Wages and Income. Once she tried everything, she suggested to try TurboTax Live but they did not want to take call unless paid.

I've tried all these steps multiple times without success.  The system is not letting me enter foreign taxes paid -anywhere (foreign company, no K1 or 1099's).

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You enter foreign income in the "foreign earned income and exclusion" section:

Then, find "What form was foreign income reported on?:

Then enter the foreign income amount:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies