Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Changing standard deduction to itemized deduction.

Turbo Tax some how changed my deductions to standard from itemized even though I entered more itemized deductions than the standard deduction.  Now I can get to where it did this and can't change it.  Do I have to start all over?  I have not filed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

I think it might be due to some changes made by the IRS. Personal itemized deductions were made obsolete until further notice. 

@Sherman68 

Are you making the common mistake of just adding up all the amounts for your itemized deductions without considering the caps and thresholds that must be met?

STANDARD DEDUCTION

Many taxpayers are surprised because their itemized deductions are not having the same effect as they did on past tax returns.  The new higher standard deduction and the elimination of certain deductions, as well as the cap on state and local taxes have had a major impact since the new tax laws went into effect beginning with 2018 returns.

Your itemized deductions have to be more than your standard deduction before you will see a change in your tax owed or tax refund.  The deductions you enter do not necessarily count “dollar for dollar;” many of them are subject to meeting  tough thresholds—medical expenses, for example, must meet a threshold that is pretty hard to reach.  The software program uses all the IRS rules that apply to the expenses you enter, and it tells you if you have enough to use your itemized deductions or if using the standard deduction is more advantageous for you.  Under the new tax laws, some deductions have been capped—there is a $10,000 limit to the itemized deductions for state, local, property and sales taxes.

Your standard deduction lowers your taxable income.  It is not a refund. 

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single $12,200   (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separate  $12,200   (+ $1300 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

Look on line 9 of your 2019 Form 1040 to see your itemized/standard deduction amount

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@VolvoGirl It is showing up all by itself under the "Get my taxes done.." category  but without the OP's question.  Weird.  I have seen that happen to a couple of people..No clue why.  Will see if I can move it.  Look out....

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@VolvoGirl I tried to move your post--which was excellent-- and apparently I lack sufficient privileges to effect such a move....sigh...   But I think I just copied and pasted it for the user to see.

Level 15

Re: Changing standard deduction to itemized deduction.

If you are getting the Standard Deduction you don't get a Schedule A.  You can temporarily switch to Itemized Deductions to print out Schedule A and then switch back.

For 2019 the standard deduction amounts for line 9 are:

Single 12,200 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

HOH 18,350 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,400+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,200 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

Starting in 2018 deductions are changing and several will be limited.  There is a max 10,000 limit of State, local, property, and sales tax (SALT) deduction.  And employee job expenses have been suspended.  You can only deduct Medical/Dental that's over 7.5% of your AGI.

FAQ on changes

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-reform/help/how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-federal-tax-return/0...

Deductions that have been suspended for 2018-2025

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-reform/help/which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-b...

Thanks, I've never seen that happen.  Weird.

Turbo Tax chose a 1040-SR without showing me the Schedule A deductions that I entered.  I have more itemized deductions than the standard deductions.  It should at least show me the calculation.  If this is how it is programmed I will never use Turbo Tax again.

@Sherman68 If the date of birth you entered means you were 65 or older at the end of 2019, you are automatically put on a 1040SR--which is exactly the same with the exact same calculations as a "regular" Form 1040 except for the bigger font.

If you want to see the itemized deductions, you can force them.

HOW TO FORCE ITEMIZED DEDUCTIONS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900142-how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-itemized-or...

But you do not have direct access to forms when you use online TurboTax so you cannot see your Schedule A.  Forms mode is only a feature of desktop (CD/download) TurboTax.

You can see your Form 1040--force itemized deductions and look at line 9 to see how it comes out.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

I have interest deductions for a few properties (not over the limitation amounts) and a $10,000 property tax deduction so that does not account for it.

I am painfully aware of these changes and the itemized deductions still total more than the standard.

Do you have other deductions like state tax and withholding?  There is a max 10,000 limit (5,000 MFS) of property tax and state taxes "SALT".  SALT is State And Local Tax.  Which includes property tax, any state tax paid like for last year’s return and includes any state withholding from your W2s and any 1099s you have. And any taxes in W2 box 14 and 19 like SDI or VDI. You can only deduct up to 10,000 (5,000 MFS) for SALT State and Local Taxes.

The Standard Deduction is larger now and may be more than your total allowed deductions.

For 2019 the standard deduction amounts for line 9 are:

Single 12,200 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

HOH 18,350 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,400+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,200 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

Am painfully aware of these changes, but I still have mortgage interest deductions that I should be able to take which brings it to more than the standard deduction.

No help miss the point.

Did you try this to change it?  How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies