turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cac3000

How to change from itemized deductions to standard deductions in 2017 deluxe, can find the option "Wrap Up Tax Breaks"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to change from itemized deductions to standard deductions in 2017 deluxe, can find the option "Wrap Up Tax Breaks"

In TurboTax , to change from itemized deductions to the standard deduction, Try this:

Open your 2017 Return and follow theses steps:
  • Click on Federal Taxes then Deductions and Credits. Desktop/CD Download users may see "I'll choose what I work on"
  • After going through the deductions and credit section, Choose Wrap Up Tax Breaks. Desktop/CD Download users may see Done with Deductions 
  • You may then see a screen regarding an IRA tax break, you can click not this year or you can go through the section if needed, then hit continue
  • Go through any summary or analysis screens (or interview questions) until you reach the screen that says What you're getting: Federal Standard Deduction
  • There should be a box directly under that to select to change your deduction. Check that box and follow the prompts. (screenshot attached).

View solution in original post

8 Replies

In TurboTax , to change from itemized deductions to the standard deduction, Try this:

Open your 2017 Return and follow theses steps:
  • Click on Federal Taxes then Deductions and Credits. Desktop/CD Download users may see "I'll choose what I work on"
  • After going through the deductions and credit section, Choose Wrap Up Tax Breaks. Desktop/CD Download users may see Done with Deductions 
  • You may then see a screen regarding an IRA tax break, you can click not this year or you can go through the section if needed, then hit continue
  • Go through any summary or analysis screens (or interview questions) until you reach the screen that says What you're getting: Federal Standard Deduction
  • There should be a box directly under that to select to change your deduction. Check that box and follow the prompts. (screenshot attached).

Mine does not have a checkbox to change deduction
hengjohn

I'm not seeing a checkbox to change deduction either
EWG1934

I don't want to use itemized deductions. How can I go directly to the Standard deduction when preparing my 2019  1040 input?

EWG1934

I would like to go directly to the Standard deduction rather than inputting deductions. How can I do that?

Try this, How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

It is not necessary to "go directly" to standard deductions.   Your standard deduction is already the default used unless you enter enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction.  TurboTax will use your standard deduction unless you force itemized deductions or enter enough itemized deductions to affect your tax due or refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Preview your Form 1040 and look at line 9.  Do you see your standard deduction?

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single $12,200   (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separate  $12,200   (+ $1300 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies