Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AL510

Unable efile State return after successfully efiled Fed return

Hope this helps. State return not accepted after federal e-file. Went back to page that asked if e-file or mail for federal taxes.  It let me select "mail".  Did get error message that already transmitted, but at top of page was option to choose mail state taxes.  It seems to have worked.  Will look at another product if problems with state package continues.  Did request refund for state e-file charge.

Fed return efiled in early February. Could not efile state return then because Quicken advised the state had not yet issued a needed form but that form would be provided as soon as available. Then email from Quicken said tax form was ready. Went in to complete state return but it now says I cannot efile the state return because the fed return must be efiled first. BUT I already efiled the fed return. ??? This is a flaw in Quicken software???

MIKE1010

I e-filed my federal return this morning successfully. One hour later, I paid 20.00 for state e-filing but turbo won't let me e-file my state. I would like a refund and if this can't be fixed, I will use another tax system. HELP!!

@MIKE1010 wrote:

I e-filed my federal return this morning successfully. One hour later, I paid 20.00 for state e-filing but turbo won't let me e-file my state. I would like a refund and if this can't be fixed, I will use another tax system. HELP!!

What message did you receive for the failed state return e-file?  Are there forms or schedules in the state tax return that are not yet available for the state return?

I want to file my state taxes and I already filed my federal taxes. Turbotax wants me to refile the federal tax return. Help!

Did any of you have state tax-exempt retirement distributions/payouts in 2021? In 2020, TT wouldn’t e-file certain states’ tax returns after the federal e-filing was done. It took several weeks of forum messages and calls to TT tech support before TT straightened it out.

rybskim

Unable to efile State return after successfully efiled Fed return,I own the state $49.00????

[email address removed]

It is $49 to do a state return in Online Deluxe and higher.

How to file state after federal

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-e-file-my-state-after-i-already-filed-my-fede...

I have the same problem

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If the above resolution does not work, please contact support. 

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent. 
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

@cabby55

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Trosino

Just e-filed our Fed tax return and trying to e-file our state return and TT won't let me.  Says I have to e-file the Federal and that is already done.

Same. I reported the correct AGI but it was rejected, so then I put in 0 for the AGI and tried just Federal - accepted.

Now, starting right after that and continuing over 15 days later, it still shows the federal is not e-filed (shows rejected: return reviewed). I can try to file only state but it says "This return cannot be e-filed before your federal return has been e-filed"

BUT if I try to file federal + state it does the transmission process, and then gives an error that says:

"Transmission failed: The submission is a duplicate of one that was previously received.. Please contact customer support"

If I try to delete my state data it says "You cannot remove the data from your California return because it is selected for efiling." I went through the whole process of saying I wasn't efiling state or federal, and printed copies of my returns for mailing in, then saved, closed, reopened. It still says the same error though. I can't delete my state data.

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Just to finish my part of the discussion, I called customer support. They were unable to resolve the issue, but I was happy with the service. They looked very deeply into the records, then screen shared into my computer and tried several different things. They were able to look at the error reports in their own database, which is info that you can't get on your own.

My personal guess at the issue: after I successfully sent the federal taxes, I should have manually saved and closed turbotax.

It is now 3/10/2023 and this problem still exists!!!!  What is TurboTax doing about it.  This is so frustrating (along with problems I am having printing the returns.... I select "print" and they just "save" instead).  So now there is absolutely no way for me to file!  I spent 30 minutes on a call with a TurboTax rep and they couldn't fix the printing problem.  Supposedly escalating the issue, and calling me back... but its been 7 hours now, and nothing.  We may all need to switch software for next year (and maybe even this year!). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies