Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable efile State return after successfully efiled Fed return

I filed my Federal Return last night and accepted.  Now I want to file my State Return but Turbo tax won't let me file the State. It is asking me to select the Federal Return but I already filed it. Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

82 Replies

I have the same problem! 3/14/2021. Fed efile just acceped. TT says I must first file Fed before efile state. Wont let me efile state. Help!!!

Same issue.  CA return, desktop version of TT Premier.  Going through the Review section again does not solve the problem.  Phone tech support could not solve this.  Please get the programmers on this to fix and update.

Same problem with Mac download. Unable to efile Wisconsin return after federal efile is Accepted.  Spent an hour screen-sharing with TurboTax support.  Claimed federal system may not actually process returns on weekend.  Right.  Told me to try again on Monday and call again if it still doesn't work (and talk to someone else...)

I've had problems with e-filing state returns after successful filing of federal, not only this year, but in the past. I've printed my state return to mail and am seeking a refund of my $25 from Intuit. I will file my state return by mail in the future.

Having same problem with NY.  E-filed federal and it will not allow me e-file NY by itself.  Contacted TurboTax and they were of little-to-no help.  They marked the case "complete" -- which is far from accurate, as issue is very much unresolved, and it still does not work.  Told me to check back on Tuesday (might be resolved by then), or else use paper.   Very poor. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same issue as everyone else commenting here. 

The note in this link that was posted by some else in this thread says an update on 3/19 will address this issue, so I'm going to check back then.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-re[product ke...

Same issue here with a Mac download. I'll wait till after the 18th to see if the update as a previous user stated may fix the software glitch. 

TurboTax is aware of and  investigating the issue with not being able to e-file the state after e-filing the federal. 

My Federal Return was efiled and accepted in February. I efiled my state return along with the fed taxes.

I efiled my state return was rejected.  turbo tax said to repeat the  computer input and re efile.  Problem due to software on Turbo tax. I cannot get the system to re efile the state return after repeating input into state return. Initial efile attempt date was 2/20/2021

Several years ago, I filed Fed and State taxes at the same time. Then the feds rejected my return. It was easy to fix my Fed mistake -- but a big hassle to refile the state. So now I only file the state return AFTER the feds have accepted my return. BUT not TT won't let me do this! Says I must file the Fed first, even though I have filed and it was accepted. I can't efile my state return from TurboTax. ???? Help!!!

mccarty2

I am unable to get information from Turbotax, and I may have to file the state return manually.  I am unable to get any information from Turbotax.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@mccarty2 What problem are you having? Have you updated the software with the new release?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. the issue is resolved from Mar 19th update from Turbotax

Evra
Level 1

I installed the software update (Mac desktop version) when prompted and am still asked to select a file method for my federal return (which was accepted already) before I can file my state. Any advice or workaround to efile state by itself?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies