Oregon claims I owe $ after TurboTax calculated a refund, stating "OR income tax deducted on Sched A must be subtracted from itemized deductions" - your error! Not cool!

I was told to amend my taxes, which they (a virtual CPA from TT) walked me through. I now need to set up a payment plan to return the whopping overpayment of $750. TT said they will reimburse the $22 in interest and sent me to a page where I could upload and send the letter from the Dep. of Revenue stating what I owed. The state said interest would stop accruing when they received my amendment.  It’s a huge pain. 

It may be a pain ( and it would have been easier if you took care of it earlier when alerted to the issue) but it is the way it needs to be handled.  

Critter: I’m trying to let others know how I was walked through the process and trying to be helpful. Stop trying to defend this huge error the software has made. TT seriously let down their early filing clients. Period. 

If you take a look at the instructions on how to correct the error in my other post ... which is a direct quote from the TT FAQ that was emailed ... it clearly says to call for assistance.   Whenever there is a programming error they always alert the users and always offer assistance to make the correction.  

I am not defending errors so much as explaining that  errors   happen (especially early in the tax year)  and that Intuit owns up to them and offers the correction plus assistance to fix them ...  they even offer a separate phone number to get directly to the people who understand the issue well.   

The income tax program has millions of moving parts that must work in concert seamlessly  AND add that to a massive tax law change   AND  tax form changes (both federal and state)  there are bound to be a few issues.   This is a good reason to NOT file early in the year ... holding off until mid to late February  when the bugs have been worked out is wise.   If you used the downloaded program you would see how often updates are issued to correct problems ... they happen a lot in Jan & Feb ... I think there have been 49 updates so far this year. 

2019 spoiler alert :  The tax forms have changed again which will most likely cause a few  issues again for the feds & state programs ... waiting a bit to file this year would be wise. 

@Critter   Note: the days and hours are now M-F, 5-5 Pacific Time, so no weekend access as you copy/pasted.  (I had them correct those days/hours). 

Opinion: A link to the FAQ might be better in such situations so that corrections to the original FAQ will be seen when accessed by others at any point in time.  Of course, those days/times have been somewhat wrong for months now.

@SteamTrain 

Links have a tendency to lead to dead pages so I stopped relying on them ... note taken. 

@Critter   Yep...Catch-22

the lesson learned is do not file immediately in late January.  Give it until end of February to permit any bugs to straighten themselves out in the software.

While I can see the frustration, the alternative is to use another software program, and they may have the same challenges with bugs early in the tax season, or let a human do it (either yourself or a tax preparer) which risks human error and / or higher costs.

I can understand everyone wants to file to get their refund quickly, but there are consequences of that action.  '

TT is very up front that the guarantee only covers penalties and interest when their software performs incorrectly.  It has been that way for over 25 years that I have used this product. 

I’m going to take my chances on human error. Not mine, but I’ll find a real CPA if anyone had recommendations  in Oregon. 

I wouldn't have a problem with paying this, if it weren't an egregious error on their behalf:

1. This wasn't because of a change in tax law.  As long as I have been filing, you have never been able to take the standard deduction AND itemized deduction.  I didn't take the itemized deduction, nor did I fill in any info for the itemized deduction.  The software took the standard deduction, then magically assigned a random number (I have no idea where the figure came from) to the itemized deductions.  This has NEVER been allowed in the past.  It's an error that should have never been able to take place.

2. Had the error not occurred, I would have still received a refund.  I PAID an excess of what I owed.  I shouldn't be responsible for a product they had ~9 months to prepare and test, for an issue that should NEVER be allowed to happen in the first place.

3. Their guarantee is specifically for a calculation error.  This isn't exactly a calculation error.  Technically, the calculations (the math) were correct.  The software made an error by adding an arbitrary number without my permission...once again, performing an action never allowed before, an action that should never under any circumstance be allowed.  I feel this goes above and beyond their EULA.

This was an oversight plain and simple.  They rolled out a product that wasn't ready and they are trying to avoid making it right.  Their customer service is as terrible as their product.  If I purchased a brand new blender, and during the first use it blew up and caught the house on fire, the manufacturer would have to cover the damages.  If I was driving a brand new car home and the wheel fell off, the manufacturer would have to cover damages.  I purchased this product with good faith it was a good, and usable product.  It was not.  The manufacturer should cover the damages.

in this case the 'damages' are the penalties and interest.  Have you filed a claim? are they paying it? If not, curious why not.  

The 'cost of the blender' which in this case is the taxes due themselves, you still would have paid for, even if the damages were paid.   the TT guarantee has worked like this for over 25 years 

lastly, while I see your point, the IRS didn't finalize the forms to reflect the new tax law until August, 2018, which means Intuit had just three months (until November) and not nine months until the first version of their software was released to their customers. 

Maybe TT should go back to the pre-internet days?  Back in the 1990's, TT would MAIL a preliminary disk for Federal - no state - in December.    Then it would send a final disk via MAIL with the final federal forms and the state forms - no changes occurred after that in late January / early February.  But I don't think customers would appreciate that approach, hence there are weekly updates and better to not be the 'early bird to get the worm' - especially in a year where there were significant federal and state tax changes.     

I just got slapped with a $700+ bill  bc Turbotax screwed up my tax return.  And I can't talk to someone at Turbo tax bc I filed for free and only paid customers get to talk to a human.  This is their mistake!  I shouldn't have to pay them for the privilege of talking to them to ask them to fix it.  I am so mad right now!  I didn't even get my tax return, bc my student loans garnished it. 

Same here.

They HAVE reimbursed me for the fees associated, however, I don't feel this falls under their "guarantee" exactly.  It wasn't a calculation error, it was their software violating tax rules.  They expect me to adhere to their EULA, I expect the same from them.

No, in this case, the blender is their software.  My house is my taxes and my kitchen represents the Oregon portion of my taxes.  You see, I purchased all of these things.  Each piece has been paid in full, the house and kitchen I happened to overpay a little for, but that's okay, I know I'm going to get the portion I overpaid back.  I purchased this sweet blender (I paid a little extra for the deluxe model and at the time trusted the brand).  I don't mind paying a little extra for my piece of mind.  I follow the manufacturer's directions to the letter.  And instead of enjoying a tasty smoothie, my kitchen sustains heavy damages due to the blender being made poorly.  Now, I'm not the only person who received one of these faulty blenders.  It was a widespread issue thousands of people experienced.  The difference with the example and real life is, in the example, the damage is immediately seen, in real life the damage wasn't apparent until about 8 months later.  Anyways.  The blender fails causing serious damage to my kitchen.  I contact the manufacturer and they agree it's their fault.  They only agree to pay for 1 square inch of paint located behind the fridge.  In ANY other company, if their product fails, they typically issue a recall.  This product wasn't recalled.  They allegedly sent an email.  I didn't see an email.  They didn't send a physical mail, they didn't call people who may have been affected.  This is %100 their fault and they need to cover what is lost.

Regardless of the time frame, this isn't an issue that was caused by a change in tax law.  The software allowed (read: forced on me without me knowing) a condition that has NEVER been allowed.  Ever.  You CANNOT take a standard deduction and an itemized deduction.  Never have been able to, never will be able to.  So even if the tax law changed the day before the software release, the failure the software had should already be part of the software.  This simple (but devastating) error should never be allowed by the software.  Now, I'm not a tax expert (that's why I pay others to do my taxes for me) by any means, so correct me if I'm misguided on this.  I purchased software that had a *Guarantee* to work properly.  It did not.  Their guarantee covers calculation (math) errors assuming all the pertinent information was entered correctly.  All the pertinent information WAS entered correctly, the software just arbitrarily added an additional component that shouldn't have been there.  Technically the math was correct, the software allowed (read: forced without my knowledge or consent) additional information directly violating tax rules (once again, I'm not a tax expert so correct me if I'm wrong).

We aren't in the days before the internet, so this is irrelevant.  Once again, I would completely understand and be more than willing if this error was caused by a last minute change, or any new change for that matter.  That's understandable.  What is unacceptable is this error was caused by negligence, not ignorance.

Good luck.  Same thing happened to me.  I paid the extra to be able to get protection in case they caused an error, and the only thing they are willing to cover is the additional fees (interest and penalties).  Even though their software was faulty.  They keep trying to blame tax law changes, but the issue wasn't caused by a change.  It was cause by their negligence.