State tax filing

If you take a look at the instructions on how to correct the error in my other post ... which is a direct quote from the TT FAQ that was emailed ... it clearly says to call for assistance.   Whenever there is a programming error they always alert the users and always offer assistance to make the correction.  

I am not defending errors so much as explaining that  errors   happen (especially early in the tax year)  and that Intuit owns up to them and offers the correction plus assistance to fix them ...  they even offer a separate phone number to get directly to the people who understand the issue well.   

The income tax program has millions of moving parts that must work in concert seamlessly  AND add that to a massive tax law change   AND  tax form changes (both federal and state)  there are bound to be a few issues.   This is a good reason to NOT file early in the year ... holding off until mid to late February  when the bugs have been worked out is wise.   If you used the downloaded program you would see how often updates are issued to correct problems ... they happen a lot in Jan & Feb ... I think there have been 49 updates so far this year. 

2019 spoiler alert :  The tax forms have changed again which will most likely cause a few  issues again for the feds & state programs ... waiting a bit to file this year would be wise.