turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My state return won't open.

How do I get TurboTax to open my state return so I can work on it?   I have selected the "Start" button numerous times.  It then "Updates" and goes right back to where it was, but never opens the return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I am sorry you are having this problem, please see the link to help you with opening your state return.  Stuck in State Loop

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The problem is fixed after Lots of time looking for help on the web forum (useless), two phone calls, two reboots, multiple uninstalls and waaaay too many wasted hours.   PLEASE get this situation resolved so I don’t have to go through this again next year.  

Wlester67
Returning Member

Your solution is for Windows computers. I have a MacBook Air and TurboTax won't open my state forms. 

When I first installed it, the Minnesota tax forms started. I saved and quit the program for another day, and now I come to my state return and it says that I have to purchase a state return, but I already did. I even click on "Purchase State", scroll to Minnesota, and it says that it is installed already, but it won't let me access it. 

I come to the same page every time. I have deleted and reinstalled TurboTax, but I still get the same issue.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax help article. Download the state program for TurboTax for Mac.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/download-turbotax-state-mac/00/26002

If you are still experiencing issues, please contact support. 

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent. 
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Getting the same problem with the 2022 version of TurboTax.  Stuck in an endless loop trying to download the state.

The recommended solution is here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/state-install-e-file-u...

Does NOT work.  The state removal tool clearly says it is for tax year 2021.  I tried it anyway and it had no effect.   Uninstalled/reinstalled several times with no luck.

Extremely dissatisfied with the product and will be requesting a full refund.

My recommendation is do not purchase this product until such time as this bug is fixed.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax help article for more information.
State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your sta...

For further assistance, please contact support. 
This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent. 
Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time daily.

@SForrestLOSorry, but your suggestion is not related to the problem I am having (I tried it anyway).

My problem is that TurboTax is stuck in an endless loop where it thinks it needs to download the state form, only to say the software is up to date, then it goes back to needing to download the state, and so on and so on.

This is clearly a long-standing bug with TurboTax as you should be able to see from the various threads.  I have already spent 2 hours on the phone with support before posting here.  Even after paying for the state download (Support pushed a refund), downloading it, installing it the problem remains.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled TT several times.  I have tried the TTCleanStates.exe cleanup tool - the one provided is for Turbo Tax 2021, btw, so it wasn't going to work in any case.

To sum up, I need a fix to this problem or a full refund. 

Update:  Another long call to Tech Support with no fix.  Opted for full refund.  I will not be using Turbo Tax in the future. 

TurboTax won’t prepare my 2022 state return

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You may have to log out of the program, clear your cache and cookies, and log back in. Please see the TurboTax FAQ here for instructions on clearing your cache. See here for instructions on clearing your cookies. You may also try using another browser. 

If these steps don't work, please let us know whether you are using TurboTax Desktop/Download or TurboTax Online, and which state return has the issue, and describe when / how the problem occurs. 

Tried clearing the cookies and cache. It is still looping and the state is not opening. 

Purchased TurboTax Premier, using Windows 10 Desktop. Need State taxes (Michigan).

I re-installed the TurboTax software on a laptop with Windows 11 and the State portion worked just fine. It appears to be a non-compatibility with Windows 10 issue. 

Hope this helps & wish I hadn't spend 3 hours figuring this out. Good luck everyone!

My state return does not open and not working after numerous attempts 

so frustrating 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, and reopen TurboTax.  Also, make sure you have ran all updates. 

If that doesn't work please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

rjkrph1

How did you fix it.  I've tried multiple supposed resolutions that don't work.  Spent over 1 1/2 hours of phone this morning, never fixed it, then got disconected.  Please send the fix to my email --- [email address removed].  Thanks.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Try clearing you cache and cookies.

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax.  Sometimes you need to clear your cache to remove these temporary files.

Here are the official instructions for the most popular browsers:

Make sure you have run all updates to your TurboTax program.

If you're on a PC, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top. On a Mac, simply quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

Tips:

• It's best to use a wired, high-speed connection when updating, both to save time and minimize data corruption.
  • If your connection drops in the middle of the update, try again; it should pick up where it left off.
  • If you're having trouble updating on your PC, try a manual update.

If you are stuck in a loop with your state return, try the following fix:

To resolve, close TurboTax and then:

1. Download the TTStateCleanup.zip file and save it to your desktop or other easy-to-find location.
  2. Double-click to open the zip folder.
  3. Extract the contents of the folder to your desktop and open the extracted folder.
  4. Right-click the downloaded file (TTCleanStates.exe) and select Run as Administrator.
  5. Select your version (Personal or Business).
  6. Select your state from the dropdown menu and choose Remove (if you're having problems with multiple states, choose Remove all States).
  7. Once the tool finishes removing the state return(s), close it and reopen TurboTax.
  8. Follow the prompts to update TurboTax at the prompt. It should start downloading your state.
    • If it doesn't, click the State Taxes tab and download it from there.

If this fix fails:

1. Uninstall TurboTax.
  2. Double-click the CD or download file to start the reinstallation process.
  3. Select Next on the welcome screen.
  4. Select I Agree on the License Agreement.
  5. On the next screen, where you see the install location, select Browse and change it to the location where TurboTax was originally installed (normally, it's something like C:Program Files (x86)TurboTaxDeluxe 20XX).
  6. Select Install after changing the location.
  7. Open TurboTax after installation and proceed to your state taxes.

If the preceding steps don't resolve this issue, restart your computer in Selective Startup and run the tool again.  

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for information on Turbo Tax Support.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies