Selective Startup Mode lets you turn off unnecessary Windows applications and services that may be interfering with normal software installation. Similar to Safe Mode, you can use this powerful tool to work around installation problems.
Try installing TurboTax in Selective Startup Mode if you're unable to install it on a normally running Windows session.
Print this article and then exit all programs before proceeding.
- Simultaneously press the Windows+R keys
- Type msconfig in the Open field and select OK
- On the General tab in the System Configuration window, choose Selective startup, and then clear the Load startup Items checkbox.
- Select the Services tab. Select the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox, and then select Disable all.
- Select OK and wait a few moments. Eventually you'll see the message You must restart your computer. Select the Restart button
- Install TurboTax
To return to normal Windows mode, repeat steps 1 and 2, then select Normal startup on the General tab. Select OK and restart your computer when prompted.