turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't start my state return in TurboTax 2020 - stuck in a "download and install" loop

Whenever I try to start my Ohio state taxes in TurboTax 2020 Home & Business (Windows CD/download), I get stuck in the following pattern.  I saw this problem happened to some people in TurboTax 2019 and required a TTStateCleanup.exe file to fix it.  Is there such a cleanup program for TurboTax 2020 available yet?

Steps to reproduce:

1. I go to STATE TAXES tab

2. I click Start button to start state taxes

3. A "Let's Complete Your Purchase Online" window appears

4. I already have the state downloaded, so I click the checkbox next to it and click "Download Now"

5. The state downloads and shows "Your software is up to date."

6. I click Start button to start state taxes, but it just forces me through steps 3-5 again and again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can't start my state return in TurboTax 2020 - stuck in a "download and install" loop

State forms are not ready yet, stop trying to start a state return in December..

Click on the REVIEW tab to see what it is and when it is estimated to be ready (when operational) ... 

IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

·         

State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

State forms are not ready yet, stop trying to start a state return in December..

Click on the REVIEW tab to see what it is and when it is estimated to be ready (when operational) ... 

IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

·         

State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hank18

I am having the same problem after an update error required me to reinstall.  I am stuck in a loop trying to download my NY State.  Since this was my 'free' state, there's no purchase record for it, so I can't download it manually.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Customer Support phone number below for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was stuck in the same loop so I clicked on "Get another state" even though I was entitled to a free one.

It then let me download the state for free. I had ad to force the software to update.

anthonyj59
Returning Member

Steps to reproduce:

1. I go to STATE TAXES tab

2. I click Start button to start state taxes

3. A "Let's Complete Your Purchase Online" window appears

4. I already have the state downloaded, so I click the checkbox next to it and click "Download Now"

5. The state downloads and shows "Your software is up to date."

6. I click Start button to start state taxes, but it just forces me through steps 3-5 again and again.

This for my 2023 Ohio State download, same problem 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Try using the resolution below:

To resolve, close TurboTax and then:

1. Download the TTStateCleanup.zip file and save it to your desktop or other easy-to-find location.
  2. Double-click to open the zip folder.
  3. Extract the contents of the folder to your desktop and open the extracted folder.
  4. Right-click the downloaded file (TTCleanStates.exe) and select Run as Administrator.
  5. Select your version (Personal or Business).
  6. Select your state from the dropdown menu and choose Remove (if you're having problems with multiple states, choose Remove all States).
  7. Once the tool finishes removing the state return(s), close it and reopen TurboTax.
  8. Follow the prompts to update TurboTax at the prompt. It should start downloading your state.
    • If it doesn't click the State Taxes tab and download it from there.

If this fix fails, try this:

1. Uninstall TurboTax.
  2. Double-click the CD or download file to start the reinstallation process.
  3. Select Next on the welcome screen.
  4. Select I Agree on the License Agreement.
  5. On the next screen, where you see the install location, select Browse and change it to the location where TurboTax was originally installed (normally, it's something like C:Program Files (x86)TurboTaxDeluxe 20XX).
  6. Select Install after changing the location.
  7. Open TurboTax after installation and proceed to your state taxes.

If the preceding steps don't resolve this issue, restart your computer in Selective Startup and run the tool again.  

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional questions or information or click here for information on Turbo Tax Support.  

craig1942

Can't start my state return in TurboTax 2023 - stuck in a "download and install" loop

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see this link and follow the steps to help resolve the download issues. 

There are several steps provided that should help you get out of the loop and allow you to download the state returns.

@craig1942 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies