• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasper5833

Can I attach a form 1099R to my return if I efile?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

No. If you efile, you do not have to and should not mail in your 1099-R.  Probably what you saw is that for paper filings a copy of the 1099-R must be attached to the tax return if any withholding was taken out.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MichaelDC

No. If you efile, you do not have to and should not mail in your 1099-R.  Probably what you saw is that for paper filings a copy of the 1099-R must be attached to the tax return if any withholding was taken out.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

View solution in original post

mellott1609

The answer mentioned here is incorrect in that it states that you do not have to mail in your 1099-R forms to the IRS if you e-file.  I e-filed my returns and have had to deal with IRS audits the past 2 years, because the Federal withholding on my 1099-R, which was reported on my Turbotax return did not have supporting 1099-R forms.  It was a real pain to clear it up with the IRS - many wasted hours of my life...  I consider the inability to attach files to my electronic filing a severe shortcoming of Turbotax.  Unfortunately, I'll have to file printed returns to include my 1099-R forms this year to avoid yet another audit by the IRS.
cmtn

same thing happened to me.  IRS delayed my return because the 1099r was not attached with the turbotax efile.  Now on next year returns I see no way to attach the 1099r pdf.   Big problem with turbotax.

DoninGA
Level 15

@cmtn wrote:

same thing happened to me.  IRS delayed my return because the 1099r was not attached with the turbotax efile.  Now on next year returns I see no way to attach the 1099r pdf.   Big problem with turbotax.

The Form 1099-R is not attached to an e-filed federal tax return.  All the information on the Form 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R or RRB-1099-R is entered on your federal tax return.  All that information is sent with the e-filed tax return to the IRS.

I have been entering Form1099-R's on my federal tax return for over a decade with never an issue with the IRS.

Recon2
Returning Member

Hey turbo tax , are you sure no 1099R's need filed with a file....

I normally paper file--turbotax--never a problem except a little slow. But I want no problems with the IRS. Seems , they must have all, supporting documents for withheld taxes. No uploads for this documentation....?

DoninGA
Level 15

@Recon2 wrote:

Hey turbo tax , are you sure no 1099R's need filed with a file....

I normally paper file--turbotax--never a problem except a little slow. But I want no problems with the IRS. Seems , they must have all, supporting documents for withheld taxes. No uploads for this documentation....?

Not with an e-filed, electronically filed tax return.  If you were mailing the tax return then the Form 1099-R would have to be attached if it had taxes withheld on the form.

Recon2
Returning Member

Got it.

Thanks

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v