Solved: Can I attach a form 1099R to my return if I efile?

Can I attach a form 1099R to my return if I efile?

No. If you efile, you do not have to and should not mail in your 1099-R.  Probably what you saw is that for paper filings a copy of the 1099-R must be attached to the tax return if any withholding was taken out.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

The answer mentioned here is incorrect in that it states that you do not have to mail in your 1099-R forms to the IRS if you e-file.  I e-filed my returns and have had to deal with IRS audits the past 2 years, because the Federal withholding on my 1099-R, which was reported on my Turbotax return did not have supporting 1099-R forms.  It was a real pain to clear it up with the IRS - many wasted hours of my life...  I consider the inability to attach files to my electronic filing a severe shortcoming of Turbotax.  Unfortunately, I'll have to file printed returns to include my 1099-R forms this year to avoid yet another audit by the IRS.

same thing happened to me.  IRS delayed my return because the 1099r was not attached with the turbotax efile.  Now on next year returns I see no way to attach the 1099r pdf.   Big problem with turbotax.

@cmtn wrote:

The Form 1099-R is not attached to an e-filed federal tax return.  All the information on the Form 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R or RRB-1099-R is entered on your federal tax return.  All that information is sent with the e-filed tax return to the IRS.

I have been entering Form1099-R's on my federal tax return for over a decade with never an issue with the IRS.