turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I attach a form 1099R to my return if I efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

No. If you efile, you do not have to and should not mail in your 1099-R.  Probably what you saw is that for paper filings a copy of the 1099-R must be attached to the tax return if any withholding was taken out.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

View solution in original post

41 Replies
MichaelDC

No. If you efile, you do not have to and should not mail in your 1099-R.  Probably what you saw is that for paper filings a copy of the 1099-R must be attached to the tax return if any withholding was taken out.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

The answer mentioned here is incorrect in that it states that you do not have to mail in your 1099-R forms to the IRS if you e-file.  I e-filed my returns and have had to deal with IRS audits the past 2 years, because the Federal withholding on my 1099-R, which was reported on my Turbotax return did not have supporting 1099-R forms.  It was a real pain to clear it up with the IRS - many wasted hours of my life...  I consider the inability to attach files to my electronic filing a severe shortcoming of Turbotax.  Unfortunately, I'll have to file printed returns to include my 1099-R forms this year to avoid yet another audit by the IRS.
cmtn

same thing happened to me.  IRS delayed my return because the 1099r was not attached with the turbotax efile.  Now on next year returns I see no way to attach the 1099r pdf.   Big problem with turbotax.

@cmtn wrote:

same thing happened to me.  IRS delayed my return because the 1099r was not attached with the turbotax efile.  Now on next year returns I see no way to attach the 1099r pdf.   Big problem with turbotax.

The Form 1099-R is not attached to an e-filed federal tax return.  All the information on the Form 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R or RRB-1099-R is entered on your federal tax return.  All that information is sent with the e-filed tax return to the IRS.

I have been entering Form1099-R's on my federal tax return for over a decade with never an issue with the IRS.

Hey turbo tax , are you sure no 1099R's need filed with a file....

I normally paper file--turbotax--never a problem except a little slow. But I want no problems with the IRS. Seems , they must have all, supporting documents for withheld taxes. No uploads for this documentation....?

@Jascur wrote:

Hey turbo tax , are you sure no 1099R's need filed with a file....

I normally paper file--turbotax--never a problem except a little slow. But I want no problems with the IRS. Seems , they must have all, supporting documents for withheld taxes. No uploads for this documentation....?

Not with an e-filed, electronically filed tax return.  If you were mailing the tax return then the Form 1099-R would have to be attached if it had taxes withheld on the form.

Got it.

Thanks

My e-filled return was accepted in Feb. I received a letter from IRS asking me to mail in a copy of 1099-R.

Because of this I have not received my refund (as of Aug 8).  This is a real problem with Turbo-Tax and needs to

be fixed. I probably can't use it next year unless I know it is fixed. There has to be a way to attach the 1099-R to

an e-filed return.

@wre111531 wrote:

My e-filled return was accepted in Feb. I received a letter from IRS asking me to mail in a copy of 1099-R.

Because of this I have not received my refund (as of Aug 8).  This is a real problem with Turbo-Tax and needs to

be fixed. I probably can't use it next year unless I know it is fixed. There has to be a way to attach the 1099-R to

an e-filed return.

The IRS requesting you provide the actual Form 1099-R that you received has nothing to do with TurboTax or with any other tax preparation software you could have used.  The IRS either did not receive a copy of the Form 1099-R from the Payer or the form they did receive does not have the same tax data as what you entered on the e-filed tax return.

I have been e-filing my federal tax returns with tax data from the Form 1099-R for the past 17 years with no issue whatsoever with the IRS.  Some years tax data from multiple Form 1099-R's.

My777
Returning Member

I’m having the same problem, I have tax withheld on my 1099-R.

My e-filled return was also accepted in Feb. I received a letter from IRS asking me to mail in a copy of 1099-R on June and I did mail it. Since then I have still not received my refund (as of Dec 15). This is really a pain and the Turbo-Tax needs to

be fixed.

I did call my payer which is fidelity asking them whether they send a copy of the 1099-R to the IRS, the answer is NO, the payer don’t send. The answer from the payer (fidelity) is that I have to attach a copy of my 1099-R (with tax withholding) together with my 1040 tax return if I send my tax return by mail.

They don’t know about e filed, and asked me to consult the TurboTax.

So, it is our responsibility to attach a copy of 1099-R (with tax withholding) together with the tax return whether by mail or electronic????? Cause the IRS don’t have my 1099-R if I don’t attach it.

TurboTax need to fix it with the attachment issue if e-filed, otherwise, you only can do it by mail, this is a REAL PAIN.

Of course the issuer sends a copy to the IRS!  That person was wrong.   They have to send the red copy A.  Either by mail or electronically, see link.  If you didn't report the 1099R at all on your tax return the IRS would mail you a letter saying you didn't report it.  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099r_20.pdf 

TomD8
Level 15

@My777 --

Things are slow at the IRS these days, particularly when paper forms are involved.  From the IRS website:

"There’s a high volume of tax returns with missing schedules needed to claim or reconcile credits. We’re opening mail within our normal timeframes, but it’s taking us longer to process it.  

How long you may have to wait: We’re processing all responses in the order received. The current delay is more than 60 days. 

What you should do: If you have provided us the information, you don’t need to do it again. We’re working through all taxpayer replies on a first-come, first-served basis. We appreciate your patience."

Taxpayers are not required to attach copies of 1099 forms to an e-filed return.

The issuer of a 1099-R is required to furnish a copy to the IRS.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
My777
Returning Member

Ok, if the payer does send a copy of my 1099-R to the IRS, then 1. why the IRS asking me to send a copy of my 1099-R after I e-filed on February? (Since the IRS already have a copy). By the way, it is a pain to call the IRS, I had called several time and put me on hold for 3, 4 hours, then disconnected. Finally, I managed to get through yesterday, the person said he take a note and inform the person in charge to resolve it, if it is no news about the refund after 60 days, then call again…….

2. Why the Copy B of the 1099-R have to attach together with the tax return if there is a tax withheld when filing by mail?

Since there is already a (RED) copy for the IRS.

We don't know why the IRS wants to see your copy of the 1099R.  Maybe you reported it on the wrong line or the withholding doesn't match what you reported.

#2  I think they want to see your actual 1099R to match the withholding you reported on your 1040.  When you mail a return you have to attach all W2 and 1099 that show withholding on them.  You could have a form that the payer  hasn't sent in to the IRS yet.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies