turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to register my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Yes you would need to register your account. Note that you cannot undo anything after you register the account. If you would need to start over for any reason it cannot be done after you register your taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I keep getting the message that I need to register my account to download previous years taxes, however, I cannot find any information on HOW to do that...I click on the "Show me How" button on that screen but it only takes me to "how to retrieve past taxes", which is no help. I have no idea what this means...

webmatic

I am having same issue. Please post if you found any work around.

@webmatic wrote:

I am having same issue. Please post if you found any work around.

@kimtownsend 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to access a prior year return and register the 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

Some users have experienced failure of the registration process when trying to access prior year tax returns.

Contact TurboTax support for assistance with this problem.

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is extremely frustrating.. 

"To download your past TurboTax returns, you need to register your account first"

BUT HOW CAN I DO THAT? IT DOESN'T SHOW IT ANYWHERE AND I ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for accessing prior year online tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

Does this mean you need to register your 2019 taxes to view your 2018 return? The FAQ just says to register, but doesn't provide any information about how.

Once you have registered the 2019 account by following the procedure in the support FAQ then you can access the prior year online tax returns.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

@DoninGA Your response is beyond unhelpful. Thank you for providing a link to the same exact link that is forced on to anyone who reaches this problem. Those instructions lead you in circles. Can you please add to this forum instead of talking in circles. Thank you. Get it together. 

@Oliviasimpson3896 

So what happens when you follow these exact steps - 

1. If you haven't chosen yet, pick the product that is right for you (if you aren’t sure, select TurboTax Free Edition) when starting.
  2. Follow the screens and provide some personal info.
  3. When you've reached the Personal info summary screen, select Continue.
  4. Select File in the left menu (this is just a step in order to register or pay, you won’t actually be filing).
  5. Continue until you get to Review your order and select Start.
  6. Select View payment options.
  7. Register or pay for TurboTax, depending on which version you're using.
  8. Go to Tax Home in the left menu.
  9. Under Your tax returns & documents, go to Download/print return (PDF) (select Show if not visible).

This is exactly what I am thinking.

Problem: I want to view my past tax year document (beit 2017,2018, 2019, etc) and I am already signed into the account that I want to view those documents.

Solution: NOW this is where you actually have to start following the steps 2-6. You have to follow these steps exactly. The reason being, is because you are emulating attempting to file your taxes, and in order to file, you need to register your account on TurboTax, and not just sign in/ sign up for your account and tax year. Once you finish step 6, you'll see a page to register your account, once you do that, you should be able to view and print your previous tax years.

Hope this helps!

Fantastic! Listen to this guy. Basically pretend to file your taxes, but dont actually file them, click on tax home and u will be on your main tax page, then scroll all the way to the bottom. It will say your tax returns and documents. Don't click the document tab on the left pull down menu, it wont work.

Nikki039

Don’t know how to register it keeps taking me to file my taxes

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you are trying to register for the stimulus check this link What do I need to do to get my stimulus payment? has information on how to apply for the stimulus check.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies