Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What happens if I put in the wrong gross income number?

I couldn't find my tax papers from last year, so what happens if I put the wrong gross income number
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyW

The IRS uses your previous year's AGI as a method to verify your identity. If the number is incorrect, the tax return would be rejected and you would have an opportunity to correct this number. 

For more information about AGI, please see the link below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

View solution in original post

20 Replies
AmyW

The IRS uses your previous year's AGI as a method to verify your identity. If the number is incorrect, the tax return would be rejected and you would have an opportunity to correct this number. 

For more information about AGI, please see the link below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

jadkins75

What happens if u put the wrong number but it was accepted and not rejected ?

For last year’s AGI?  That would be very unusual to be accepted.  But it shouldn’t affect your 2017 return.
jadkins75

I was asking about 2017 return. A friend of mine thinks she put the wrong agi on her return and she's been seeing or if itnwas wrong they would reject her return but it was accepted and is being processed.... Should she be concerned
jadkins75

And she didn't file last year

I said last year’s AGI because you have to put down your last year’s (2016) AGI to efile this year.  If she didn’t file last year her AGI is 0 zero.
jadkins75

She didn't file last year and put this years agi from her 1099 on her return and its been processing for almost 3 weeks will she need to amend it

hello! 

I need know if i already submit the taxes with a wrong agi information, can i fix it? 

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

If you submit your return and transmit it with the incorrect prior year AGI  (Adjusted Gross Income) number, your return will be rejected. 

Turbo Tax uses this information to verify your identity.  

Once it is rejected you will be able to back into your return and make the correction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cacie23

Agi number 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you entered an incorrect AGI (or not one at all) when submitting your tax return it could be rejected by the IRS, however you will then have the opportunity to fix it. Please watch for an email from us and see this TurboTax FAQ for more information on how to fix a rejected tax return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/how-do-i-fix-a-rejected-return/00/26136

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sdart0828aolcom
Returning Member

So if you put ZERO and it accepted it and that INCORRECT what will happen?? 

kiwitay

I have the same question. were you able to fix yours or did you just leave it be?

@kiwitay Entering your 2018 AGI is the way the RS verifies that the same person who used that SSN last year is the one filing a tax return using that same SSN.  (because a stranger should not know your w2018 AGI....)  If you do not have access to your 2018 return then you can always try using zero to get the return e-filed.  If the IRS accepts it with zero, you are okay.  Now you just have to wait for the IRS to process your return.  You do not have to change the AGI if the return was accepted.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies