turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my taxes still pending after 48 hours

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Pending status means that the IRS has received your return but have not started to process it yet.  It is not unusual for it to take a little bit longer during busy times for the IRS.
Take a look at this helpful article for an explanation on tax return process: Where’s My Tax Refund? How to Check Your Refund Status

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

25 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Pending status means that the IRS has received your return but have not started to process it yet.  It is not unusual for it to take a little bit longer during busy times for the IRS.
Take a look at this helpful article for an explanation on tax return process: Where’s My Tax Refund? How to Check Your Refund Status

my taxes are still pending also. mine has been filed since January 7th. its now way past the 12th and still pending. my stimulus was messed up thru turbo tax but I still gave turbo tax a chance and filed my return with them this year and still pending. I will be going elsewhere from now on. I don't even get clear answers as to why is it still pending. my entire family filed with me and was immediately accepted. this makes no sense. can someone explain

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The IRS began accepting and processing 2020 income tax returns on February 12. Any returns filed ahead of the official start date will be pending. With so many returns in the IRS queue, there will be processing delays.

Under the PATH Act, the IRS cannot issue a refund involving the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) before mid-February. The law provides this additional time to help the IRS stop fraudulent refunds and claims from being issued, including to identity thieves.

The IRS anticipates a first week of March refund for many EITC and ACTC taxpayers if they file electronically with direct deposit and there are no issues with their tax returns. This would be the same experience for taxpayers if the filing season opened in late January. Taxpayers will need to check Where's My Refund for their personalized refund date.

Overall, the IRS anticipates nine out of 10 taxpayers will receive their refund within 21 days of when they file electronically with direct deposit if there are no issues with their tax return. The IRS urges taxpayers and tax professionals to file electronically. To avoid delays in processing, people should avoid filing paper returns wherever possible.

Refer to 2021 tax filing season begins Feb. 12; IRS outlines steps to speed refunds during pandemic

Mines also the same in this never happened to me before 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Your e-filed return is still in pending on the server because the IRS is currently 

accepting/rejecting/processing returns.  Sometimes it can take more than 48 hours to process. Only a few returns were accepted early in a test batch.  Everyone else has been waiting. Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information on pending returns:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

now I'm really confused. I waited on hold for 45 minutes to speak with a rep. she told me it shows accepted on her end. however it does not say that on turbo tax site. also when I go to the " where's my refund" page and put my info in there is nothing. no info. I mean. what am I supposed to believe? I won't use turbo tax again. the past couple years my.stuff has been problematic with no help from them. it upsets me 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS just began to accept and process returns on February 12, 2021. The normal turnaround time for the IRS to accept your return is 24-48 hours. However, due to the number of stockpiled returns, it may take a little bit longer as their system is overwhelmed with early filers. This also applies to why there may not be a status showing on the IRS  Where's My Refund site. Please see Why is there no record of my return at Where's My Refund (WMR)? for more information. 

@Joanmiller42

Kimwells1

I files on feb 13th, your site says pending. The irs site says check back 24hours after your return has been filed. Still no update like mine was never filed

@Kimwells1 wrote:

I files on feb 13th, your site says pending. The irs site says check back 24hours after your return has been filed. Still no update like mine was never filed

Your tax returns will remain Pending until the IRS starts pulling tax returns from the TurboTax servers. It may be several days or longer after the IRS start date before your tax return gets accepted or rejected.

The IRS has to pull millions and millions of tax returns from servers throughout the country after the official IRS start date of 02/12/2021.

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

I've read because you either claim the child tax credit or missing stimulus money(which i did since at the time I didn't claim my kids for the stimulus and didn't get the child tax credit early in the year). My question is if you did or did t early in the year or when the stimulus where handed out.(claim your dependent/s.)

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

If you did not receive the stimulus or advance child tax credit, they are claimed on your return now with the dependents. You should claim whomever you are legally entitled to claim.  It will cause a slight delay in your refund as the system cross checks.

I did received my stimulus check for 2021($600) but didn't claim my children at the time since I didn't have proper documentation. But I did not claim the child tax credit for the same reason(proper documentation of dependents) but I did when I filed this year(2022) for last year's taxes(2021). I did claim i only got $600 though and was credited for the remaining balance of my stimulus and child credit tax. So Im guessing  that's why my federal and state return are still pending after 48hrs since I filed on 02/07/2021 correct?

But yes in other words i did claim my dependents on my taxes for the missing stimulus and child tax credit thanks for the reply! Do you know how much longer it will take for them to be accepted? Since it's been longer than the 48hrs? 

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

They should still be accepted quickly, it is the processing that is slow. The IRS has multiple processing places and sometimes one of them has to shut down for a little while. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies