Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Why is my federal return still pending ?

There are two different meanings. This Turbo Tax FAQ will explain.   What does "Accepted" mean?

Does "accepted" mean my refund is approved?

'In Process' means it is still processing your E-filed return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm a little concerned is all. It's been about a month since I filed . I see everyone around me getting their returns when they filed later than I did. I just don't get it.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Most taxpayers receive their refund within 21 days, but sometimes it can take a bit longer to process or review your return. Because it has been longer than that time frame for you, you should contact the IRS. Please the links below for reference.

What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days?

What do I need if I call the IRS?

Please see these links below for possible reasons for delays.

Some federal refunds are delayed due to the PATH Act

Why do some refunds take longer than others?

Same and turboTax advisors are no help. It is impossible to get through to the IRS to talk to a person, the automated operator cuts you off immediately.

I did my returns on Feb. 17, and its still pending. The date it says it is supposed to be excepted keeps going farther back. I have never had this happened before and I tried looking up the status with the link provided. It only told me there was an error. Anyone got any advice?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Due to the ongoing effects of the pandemic, the IRS has been experiencing major delays; regarding the error, you may let us know what is says specifically however there are times when WMR will show no record on file and the reasons for that message specifically can be found here @cecilia237.

I still haven't received my stimulus or federal return why is that

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

While most returns are processed within 21 days, some may take longer. There may be some reason for further review.

Go to the IRS to check if there is any explanation. IRS: Check My Refund Status

Otherwise, to view your account at the IRS, see:  IRS View Your Tax Account.

For more information, see: My return is accepted but still not approved. Is there a problem? Should I be worried?

The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the extra stimulus filings, as well as a few million unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  In addition, the Where's My Refund site has been erratic and unreliable.  But if TT told you the IRS Accepted your filing for processing, then the government has it.  (Approved is a later step, but TT receives no further updates once Accepted.)  Contacting the IRS will not help, and the IRS has implored taxpayers not to call them.  Lots of other folks are still waiting, so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

The IRS is under serious stress — what does that mean for your refund? (msn.com)

What led to IRS backlog: ‘Thin workforce,’ new pandemic relief programs | Federal News Network

I still haven’t got my federal taxes and need to know what’s going on.

Darreus

I need help can anybody tell me I filled Feb 2

My return has been accepted in the turbo tax sight but when i try to track my return the IRS page says they have no info on my return. It has been going on 2 months and the IRS sight says my 2020 tax returns is not processed. So why is turbo tax telling me one thing and the IRS another? 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am not sure why.  Please double check your status here: TurboTax and IRS

I will suggest you to contact the IRS. Click here: https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance or IRS.

DwayneF

I filed my Federal Tax return electronically and received a message February 8, 2021 that it was successfully accepted.  It is now April 20, 2021 and I still have not received my Federal Tax Refund.  If my return has been successfully accepted by the IRS shouldn't I have received my refund by now?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, in a normal tax year you probably would have received your refund by now.  But since the IRS was issuing stimulus payments and dealing with changes in tax laws during the filing season, things have been taking longer this year.

You will need to wait until the IRS completes its process.  They will notify you if they make any changes or will just take a bit longer to process your return if they agree with everything reported on your tax return.  

Please see the links below for additional information if you were getting a refund, or how you can view the latest changes to your account with the IRS.

Why is my refund taking longer to process

View your tax account with the IRS

@DwayneF

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies