Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Why does Where’s my refund status tell me my information does not match?

Sometimes until the IRS starts processing your return the Where's My Refund site may not have any information about your return or it may tell you that you haven't entered your information correctly.  As your return moves through the system the status will be updated accordingly. Keep checking the Where’s My Refund?  site for updates. The IRS updates the site daily, usually in the overnight hours. Also, make sure you are entering the exact amount of your tax return refund (not combined with your state refund), your tax return filing status, and your Social Security number when tracking your refund. If you previously had a status on Where's My Refund? check back later as high volume can cause an issue of the tracking site giving incorrect status results. You can also call the WMR Hotline at 800-829-1954 for updated status.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m having the same problem mine said approved on 2/11/2021 but I have never been able to get on the where’s my refund all it keeps saying information does not match when I I know it’s correct. Same thing when I call the 800 number it says information does not match when I got an email stating it was approved. 

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

I believe the email you received is a notification that the IRS accepted your return since they do not send email notifications for approved returns. Accepted means that preliminary information matches, such as name, date of birth, and social security number. Once the return is accepted, the IRS will check the remainder of the return. Once that portion is completed, which the IRS states should generally take no more than 21 days, your return will move to approved status, and a refund date will be issued.

If there is no record of your return, or the system says the information is wrong, please make sure you are entering the correct social security number, filing status, and refund amount.

To verify your Social Security Number:

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Social Security Number is shown on Page 1 in the upper right-hand corner.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Social Security Number is shown on Page 1 in the upper right-hand corner.
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Social Security Number is shown on Page 1 in the upper right-hand corner.
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Social Security Number is shown on Page 1 in the upper right-hand corner.

To verify your refund amount:

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 35a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 35a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 14a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 14a.

To verify your filing status:

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Filing Status is shown on the top of the form above your name and social security number.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Filing Status is shown on the top of the form above your name and social security number.
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1, Line 1.
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1, Line 1.

If you cannot track your refund on the IRS refund tool despite confirming your information is correct, please click here for some more tips.

Ok, so my refund has been pending since February the 15th. That being said still no information for me, although I am seeing a ton of TurboTax clients go through the same thing. While everyone else who filed different is not dealing with this problem. I’m starting to think this is a TurboTax problem and not the irs. 

I agree 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Mdharper1

If you submitted your return and it now shows pending with the IRS, that means they have it and are working on it.  Turbo Tax only provides the means for you to prepare your return, we have nothing to do with the IRS and how long it takes them to process it.

Please visit the IRS website for any delays. IRS delays

Please note that the IRS says its own system is lagging and you do not need to call the IRS about your refund.

Ok but mines says nothing about pending it says my info doesn't match n its all correct. It's been well over 21 days n still nothing 

@Winfever wrote:

Ok but mines says nothing about pending it says my info doesn't match n its all correct. It's been well over 21 days n still nothing 

The IRS "Where's My Refund" has been screwy for users at times this year.  If your info was showing up there previously, but isn't now, it could mean your return has been pulled for additional processing.  

See the tips I provide below for using the WMR tool, but first double-check that your efiled returns were indeed accepted.  If you used Online TurboTax, log in and go to the Tax Home and check the efile status.

If that showed it was accepted, then only the IRS knows for sure what all they doing with your return.

This IRS FAQ gives some situations where it might take longer than 21 days:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Here are some tips when using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool:

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

• Be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after acceptance before using the IRS WMR tool.
  • Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Also be sure you are using the Federal amount before any TurboTax fees are taken out (if you chose that option.)
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • You can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

If the IRS tool says it is still being processed (or if it can't find your info but you are sure it was accepted), and if it's been longer than 21 days since an efiled return was accepted, here's how to reach a live IRS agent to inquire about the delay, although they are extremely busy due to staff shortages and all the stimulus questions on top of tax-filing questions:

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

Mine is doing the same as everyone else’s on this forum. Everything was correct on my return filed on the 10th and accepted on the 11th !!! Went from still processing with Tax topic 152 to just still processing and now it’s coming up no information available like I haven’t filed. What’s the problem here? Do the early filers need to file again because turbo tax sent out emails encouraging early filers and I know lots of people on forums that filed after me and got their refunds. We depend on turbo tax when we are tax payers put our trust into this company to file our taxes. It’s not right and turbo tax should reach out to IRS on the early filers behalf to see what the issue is or a lot of business will be lost.

Just curious if  you ever receive yours ? or found out anymore information? I’m currently going through the same thing ours was accepted on the 16th of February 

cjsims718

I did receive a letter that an additional form was needed so now I am 6-8 weeks waiting again 

I’m still waiting for something/ anything . Still getting the same message , when I try to call I never get through . Lastly turbo tax keep saying the same thing with what seems like a automated response. Anyone else have any luck and can help? 

No luck here either. I will definitely use another method next year 

ayala88-

How long did it take for the app to change the status? 

Same here, mine was accepted February 12th, then said "still being processed, a refund date will be provided when available". I've been able to check it every day until today.  now its suddenly saying that my info doesnt match. Been well over a month since it was accepted

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies