Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ttzuniga4

Why does Where’s my refund status tell me my information does not match?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here's an article with an explanation for issues like these.  

Why is there no record of my return at Where's My Refund (WMR)?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

187 Replies

Be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after learning your efiled return was "accepted" before using the IRS WMR tool.

Log in to your Online TurboTax account and confirm at the Tax Home that your efiled return was accepted.

When using the IRS WMR tool, be sure SSN and filing status are correct.
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

Use only the Federal refund amount.  Do not use any combined total refund figure that includes the state refund.  Look at your actual 2019 return to get the Federal refund amount.  Be sure you are using what is displayed on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a for the Federal refund amount.

And if you are paying your TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund, use the Federal amount without regard to the fee subtraction; i.e., the amount before any fees are subtracted.

What if everything you've stated above all matches up and is correct 100% but yet still getting the message "information does not match, please reenter and try again." 

Perhaps you tried in the last 3 or so hours.   The IRS "Where's My Refund" tool has been undergoing its weekly maintenance tonight.    It may or may not be back up yet.

The IRS says "the WMR system is not available every Monday from 12:00 am (Midnight) to 3:00 am Eastern Time. "

You didn't say if you have ever used the tool at all in recent days, or whether it previously found your information, but now doesn't.   If it previously found your info and now doesn't,  it can behave squirrely as  your returns moves around in processing, and it can even come and go at times.

@ wisecarver123 

I assume you double-checked to be sure your efiled return was accepted since you referred to "everything" I stated above.   If you haven't, you need to make sure.

Just wait and try again during the daytime.  If you keep getting the message, just keep trying occasionally.  As long as your return was accepted and you are sure you are entering the correct information, there's not any trick one can do.   If it's not finding anything after 21 days, you can phone the IRS, and ask them to troubleshoot.

@wisecarver123  I added a note above to be sure your efiled return was accepted.

And for completeness,  I guess you could try the IRS phone refund hotline later today, but it may not tell you anything any differently.   800-829-1954

@mesquitebean yes ma'am I am positive it was accepted. I received the email from TurboTax on Jan 27th that the return was accepted. 

I just tried to log on again and still saying same message. I also called refund hotline and it says "we have received your refund and it is being processed". So on the plus side I am assured they received it and they're processing it. 

Thank you very much!!! 

If the IRS WMR tool is having trouble finding you, but the phone system IS finding you and telling you that your return is being processed, then I suspect your problem is due to the maintenance that occurs every Monday AM after midnight.    I'd give up tonight and try it tomorrow.    Plus that tool can even be squirrely at other times too, with things something coming and going.

It's been 6 weeks and the "Where's My Refund" link doesn't say that they received my paper work.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The IRS is not processing paper returns currently as many of their offices are closed. 

When processing resumes, they will process returns in the order received. It is not yet known when offices are expected to re-open.

@MrBobby1952

Keyley90

Why ain’t my information coming up on the where’s my refund tool

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Has it been at least 24 hours since you have filed? Also has your return been accepted at this point? Until it is accepted you will not be able to track it. Help with checking your e-file status has been provided by clicking here.

So my return was accepted on the 12th, and ever since I used the "Where's my refund" tool and it had the first bar filled saying it was accepted. Now it says my information doesn't match. I know its not an ID Verify thing because I have an IP PIN so its nothing like that contributing to why it's not giving me any update. Do you have any reason as to why it says there's no information now when two days ago the bar was there? Is it just being processed?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This is normal. It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to update. The IRS began processing returns on 2/12, you may not find a record of it or the website may say that you have put in incorrect information when tracking your federal refund. As your return moves through the system, the status of it will be updated. Continue checking the Where’s My Federal Refund tool for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight.

What does pending mean? What does pending mean?

Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS. Where's my refund?

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions Frequently asked questions

I have been dealing with the exact amount thing. My return was accepted on February 9th. I've checked the where's my refund website as well as the app a few times with no problem and since yesterday its now saying the information doesn't match. I am so confused.

thank you!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies