turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where’s my federal refund?

My federal taxes were filed and accepted March 1, and I still do not have my refund. TurboTax says the return was accepted. When I go to the IRS tool, it says that my federal return is still processing. Who call I call or where can I go to figure out what’s going on?

UPDATE: Yesterday, June 14, I finally got an update on the IRS tool that my return had processed and I can expect my refund in a couple of days. Only 3.5 months later 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  Contacting the IRS will not speed things up.  Lots of other folks are still waiting (some since mid-February) so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

At least 8 million tax returns are in limbo at the IRS because of the pandemic, delaying refunds (ms...

View solution in original post

412 Replies

try this if you want to find out whats going on.

The IRS telephone number is [phone number removed], and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. local time, Monday thru Friday. Accountant Amy Northard offers this cheat-sheet for navigating the IRS phone menu on her blog:

The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.

Once you’ve set your language, don’t choose Option 1 (regarding refund info).

Press 2 for “For answers about you personal income taxes...” instead.

Next, press 1 for “For questions about form you have already submitted...”

Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”

Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”

When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.

After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.

Next, press 2 for “personal or individual tax related questions”

Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  Contacting the IRS will not speed things up.  Lots of other folks are still waiting (some since mid-February) so please continue to be patient.  Also see:

At least 8 million tax returns are in limbo at the IRS because of the pandemic, delaying refunds (ms...

Yes it does because you find out if some is wrong with it or just a delay. Plus in my case Turbotax didn't do a thing beside collect. Had 2 very helpful IRS agents in the phone for 2 different issues they occurred. Took me a whole 10min talk time , waiting was a little intense but it's more then understandable at times like this!

I got my state weeks ago never got my federal it’s says IRS still processing REFUND ?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

According to this IRS update as of April 30th:    

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 23, 2021, we had 1.3 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 23, 2021, we had 16.9 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes mines were filed in February and it said that they were accepted , now Turbo Tax is charging me for the services instead of the IRS.

ruddy0

We just received the email stating we had to pay or on the 15th they where going to charge my account. Total BS I can afford it right now that why I do the payment out of my taxes. I have been a customer for over 10years if they remove the funds from my account I’m no longer a customer they can wait like I’m having to.

My return is still processing what can I do

Just sit tight.  The IRS is seriously backlogged due to all the new tax laws and extra stimulus filings, as well as unprocessed 2019 returns left over from the COVID shutdown.  Unfortunately, contacting the IRS will not speed things up.  Lots of other folks are still waiting, so please continue to be patient.  

IRS is holding millions of tax returns, delaying refunds (msn.com)

Ok if I haven't received my refund what can I do I don't have the money to pay turbo tax

I would like know how u can ask for payment when I haven't received my refund. The IRS can't tell me the status even after it has been accepted. Yet you guys want your payment.  Even tho you gave thumbs up on the filing. I have used u guys for a number of years but no more. H.A.W.

CandiceS

I filed mine about mid to late February and I still have not received my refund. I understand the backlog 100%, but now turbo tax is wanting there money. Well guess what I want my money as well. If I have to wait in my refund that I filed through your company than guess what you can also wait for your money. It’s what is fair

I've been waiting patiently for my return. But now turbotax wants there money which is to come out of my taxes. I think turbotax should be waiting just like the rest of us who has to wait for there money.  

Turbotax needs to respond to to why they can't wait.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies